RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2005 ZX-10R with 12k on it. My bike is in mint condition with no previous issues. Yesterday I turned it on and the Fuel gauge came on while the word FUEL continued to blink on the speedometer. The tank is nearly full. I lifted the tank and checked all the fuel pump wiring, no bad or pinched wires. The bike starts and runs fine but the "FUEL" still blinks. Any help would be appreciated.
Video of issue:

·
Registered
984 Posts
That probably means that the float inside the tank is stuck in the down position, assuming the fuel gauge on a bike works the same as a car one. Try rocking the bike left and right as hard as you can without tossing it onto its side - that might make it "unstick". Of course, the sensor could also be bad.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Or the float sprung a leak, in which case no amount of shaking will help, check to make sure you have a good ground as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies. I will take out the fuel pump today and inspect it along with the float. All the lines to and from the gas tank seem to be in perfect condition. I will update if i figure this out.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ya just reminising back to the carbed days when we had a bunch of floats, screws with mixtures more when a carb float leaks ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 2007 z1000 has done this for two years now, when it gets low the fuel light comes on the. I fill up and it stays in for a while to maybe the next time I ride but does go off, I’m told it’s the sending unit but haven’t felt like replacing it yet.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts