RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Today I received in the mail my brand new MRA double bubble windscreen, and it looks awesome! So I take out the four screws to the OEM screen, super easy. Then I put the new windscreen on the bike, and start screwing in the screws. The probem is that when I went to screw in the last screw (the bottom right when looking at the bike head on), it just slid right in, as if the screw is too big for the threaded hole, and you can just insert it and take it right out freely. I cant screw it in at all! This doesn't make sense because I just unscrewed the very screw from that spot, so it should fit. I dont know what to do. I went to Home Depot and tried to get the next size up, but that screw is too big, plus it would look bad too. Has anyone experienced such a problem before? Any ideas?
PS - I was thinking of getting some of that thread seal tape (plumber's tape), in order to try to make the screw a bit thicker. Do you guys think it will work? This is so frustrating!

·
Registered
299 Posts
try unscrewing the screws and putting them on in a different order, like start bottom right first. or try fitting like the top left screw in the bottom right hole.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Teflon tape will not make it fit any better or worse. Just seals the threads.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Are there actually threads in the hole? Take the screen off and see if you can thread the screw in.

If I remember correctly (which I may not), those threads are actually rubber inserts (called well nuts) like the ones that connect the upper fairings to the lower fairings (on the 09+ bikes). Perhaps one of them rotted out and the threaded bit fell off inside.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Are there actually threads in the hole? Take the screen off and see if you can thread the screw in.

If I remember correctly (which I may not), those threads are actually rubber inserts (called well nuts) like the ones that connect the upper fairings to the lower fairings (on the 09+ bikes). Perhaps one of them rotted out and the threaded bit fell off inside.
This. That exact thing happened to me. The rubber insert screw thingamajig has pushed out or fallen apart.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
does the 650 use well nuts too?
I never had that issue when I swapped out my stock screen with the touring screen, so I assumed I was screwing it into something substantial... not one of those little nuts that love to pop out when you try to insert the bolt! That happened on my 2008 250R.

How hard is it to get the well nut into position? With my 250 I had to cram my hand way up there and hold the well nut between my 2nd and 3rd fingers while my buddy tightened it up!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Well nuts should slide in from the same side the screen goes on and then should tighten fine. Although I've never replaced one on the windscreen so maybe there's more to it than that.

·
Registered
747 Posts

+1, that stupid nut or w.e unaligned itself and partially came off; I had to use my hand and hold it in place and screw it in. I'm pretty sure next time the thing is just going to come off.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Just replace the well nuts. You can get away with reusing them if, like people have said, hold the broken end and tighten it but they're not overly expensive. Having them rot out is annoying though if you don't have spares on hand and want to get your bike back together ASAP for a ride.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup, it seems the threaded part is actually held there by a little piece of rubber which is supposed to be clipped in place. I guess the clip broke or something, so when i was inserting the screw, it was just pushing the threaded piece back. I had to reach in from the front next to the speedometer and hold it in place with my hand as I screwed that last screw in. Worked out just fine that way. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
31 Posts
just buy a new nuts from Kawasaki. i paid USD5 for 4pc.that will last.dont use the imitation nuts from other brand then Kawasaki

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
That's a good price for those nuts. They're a lot more expensive in Canada. Also, I've actually heard the opposite about the Kawasaki well nuts. I've heard they seem to deteriorate a lot faster than those found on other bikes. But it's all hear-say so could very well be wrong.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ha I have this same exact problem on my bike, and it was pissing me off to no end especially cuz i just removed the screw from that hole and then it wouldnt go back. Ill have to see if I can just hold it in place, or buy a new set from Kawi Dealer. Love this forum!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
An MRA screen is an aftermarket windshield made by MRA.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yup, it seems the threaded part is actually held there by a little piece of rubber which is supposed to be clipped in place. I guess the clip broke or something, so when i was inserting the screw, it was just pushing the threaded piece back. I had to reach in from the front next to the speedometer and hold it in place with my hand as I screwed that last screw in. Worked out just fine that way. Thanks guys!
They don't "clip" into place. They drop in the hole from the same side that the screw goes into. Tightening the screw expands the rubber on the other side, locking it in place. And they are NOTORIOUS for falling out.

Forgot the pic:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yep the rubber between the top and the bottom (which holds the actual threaded part) deteriorates after a very short amount of time. The ones connecting the lowers to the uppers on my 09 started failing after about a year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts