RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any advice on how to get the front axle back in? I have it 80% of the way, but can't seem to get it to the point where it will thread for tightening. Bike is up on front and rear stands. Rear wheel went on okay but, I'm at my wits end with this front end. Spacers are in correctly too. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
874 Posts
You're stuck on the shoulder. Just lift the head of the axle bolt as you thread it in. Happens all the time. The weight of the wheel drags the axle down so you can turn it forever, but the threads don't quite engage on the fork. On the other hand, if you're using a stand that lifts at the fork leg- under the axle hole- you may have an even harder time because the forks aren't exactly the same length.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Right, about both.
If you try and force the axle in, you could end up stripping the fork
leg. I've been trying to get Hindle front stands for a long time.
We modify them to fit perfect.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're stuck on the shoulder. Just lift the head of the axle bolt as you thread it in. Happens all the time. The weight of the wheel drags the axle down so you can turn it forever, but the threads don't quite engage on the fork. On the other hand, if you're using a stand that lifts at the fork leg- under the axle hole- you may have an even harder time because the forks aren't exactly the same length.
Yeah, I'm using a stand that lifts at the forks. I think the forks are uneven. Damn. Well, I've ordered a stand that lifts from the triple tree. I hate having to wait though.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of front stand are you using?
Under the fork leg or under the lower triple clamp?
I'm using the under the fork leg stand. I think they are causing the forks to be at uneven levels.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your help guys. I also noticed that both of my brake calipers have closed on me while I was struggling to get that damn axle in. Any tricks to get those reopened safely?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
The correct way to open the calipers, is to open the master cylinder
cover and open the bleed screw.
Then apply pressure to the pistons, as to not damage the brake pads.

If they only need to be spread slightly, you can just pry them apart.
Doing it that way can blow a master cylinder seal.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The correct way to open the calipers, is to open the master cylinder
cover and open the bleed screw.
Then apply pressure to the pistons, as to not damage the brake pads.

If they only need to be spread slightly, you can just pry them apart.
Doing it that way can blow a master cylinder seal.
Thanks bro!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use a C camp to push the pistons in.If you don't want to wait for your stand to come in Harbor Frieght has one for $29.99.If you have a store near you.Yes I know you get what you pay for but in a pinch it works well,just won't last forever.

·
Registered
586 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts