RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice for flattening out the bent washer on the front sprocket and bending it back again?

My guess for flattening it would be to tap a screwdriver in there to open it up a bit, then use a piece of steel bar with a small hammer to flatten it out more, though not completely flat so that I would be able to get something behind there to bend it back again.

Also, I couldn't find a 27 mm impact socket, but a 1-1/16" seems to fit pefectly. (it's 26.9875 mm)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Geez, after reading all that I'm afraid to even try. I have an electric 240 ft/lb impact wrench. It works on my car wheels but it sounds like this is a whole new level of "tight".

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
No it's not. Biggest thing is to make sure the washer is totally flat.
I use a punch or a chisel. A large flat blade screwdriver will also work.
Not sure what front sprocket you are replacing it with, but Vortex
for one sells one that fits the SV, which is incorrect for our bikes.
It's too wide {having a larger shoulder} and you can then no longer use the
washer. If that's the case you need to use thread lock.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks for the info. I'll take a deep breath and give it a shot.

This is a JT sprocket. It doesn't have a shoulder or riser on it, it's just a flat sprocket. I also note that it doesn't have the rubber insert right under the teeth. Poking around, I see it's for vibration damping. I might try to retrofit it back onto my new sprocket.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm back. Well, that was easy. At first it wouldn't go, but I had only flattened it on the side that was bent up. Flatting it all the way around did it.

For anyone interested, the stock sprocket weighs 164g and the new one weighs 114g. The rubber insert doesn't come off the stock sprocket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts