RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a decent picture of the spot u grind to fit 17t. Winters finally over so got my new chain, front and rear sprockets in. Also over winter I installed a led rear light with signals built in.

Of course now it's raining lots and I only got 2 weeks left before I'm depolyed for 2 months lol.

Anyways looking for the pic as this is my easter weekend project.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Here's what I've got...

red line is what to remove
17 tooth grind IMG-20140125-00307.jpg

here it is before removal of the section
17 tooth grind IMG-20140208-00427.jpg

here's the bits removed
17 tooth grind IMG-20140208-00441.jpg

bits removed and installed (sorry it's a poor picture)
17 tooth grind IMG-20140208-00460.jpg

after removal of the section (not my photo :))
17 tooth grind.jpg

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
If in doubt take a bit more off. It shouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Got it all done and back together. Wasnt too bad.
The part I disliked the most was trying to ensure the rear wheel was aligned when I re-tightened the chain.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The part I disliked the most was trying to ensure the rear wheel was aligned when I re-tightened the chain.
Ya it took some back and forth to get it aligned. Test drove for a bit and it rode nice. Shifting seemed more solid too. With the 17t I was turning 4k rpm at 100kph.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looking for a decent picture of the spot u grind to fit 17t. Winters finally over so got my new chain, front and rear sprockets in. Also over winter I installed a led rear light with signals built in.

Of course now it's raining lots and I only got 2 weeks left before I'm depolyed for 2 months lol.

Anyways looking for the pic as this is my easter weekend project.

Why not go 16 in front and just add 3 to the back sprocket, that way you don't have to cut anything. I think it's 1 to 3. 1 tooth front to 3 teeth in the back. I might be wrong, correct me if I'm wrong please.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why not go 16 in front and just add 3 to the back sprocket, that way you don't have to cut anything. I think it's 1 to 3. 1 tooth front to 3 teeth in the back. I might be wrong, correct me if I'm wrong please.
Easier to go up one tooth. Less weight adding 1 vs 3. Idk everyone has done it. Said good things. So I did it. Most Go up in front down in back to change gearing.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Changing the front has a few advantages. It's easier than removing the rear wheel, you don't have to worry about the chain being too short, and the goal of the 17 tooth is to lower the RPM's and engine buzzing at highway speeds.
Now if you want more snap for wheelies, stunting etc, then a smaller front sprocket would be the plan - with the thought of running higher engine RPM's to the back wheel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts