RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a used Ninja 1K. When braking at low speeds, the front breaks pulse. BUT there is no pulse in the handle. Bleed brakes with new fluid but no luck, any thoughts?
Thanks for any input

·
Registered
361 Posts
did you get one with ABS?

·
Registered
361 Posts
take your discs off and check to see if they are warped. if they aren't warped clean them and clean&lube the "pins" that your rotor is held on by. there should be 7 of them. i have heard this can help but the pulse will come back and you will have to do it again. 2011 Kawasaki NINJA 1000 - ZX1000G OEM Front Brake | KneeDraggers
here's a link to the oem diagram. i tried to post a pic where i highlighted the "pins" red for you but its not letting me since im at work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm wondering if you don't have a build up on your rotors from the brake pads...
You can always try a light sanding of the rotors and see if that helps.
BTW welcome to the forum and congrats on your Scooter, I'm a new member myself.lol..

·
Registered
371 Posts
Very light or you will add to the problem.

Im not a mechanic but ya obviously look into the rotors, brake pads and oil pressure(hoses etc etc)

I'm wondering if you don't have a build up on your rotors from the brake pads...
You can always try a light sanding of the rotors and see if that helps.
BTW welcome to the forum and congrats on your Scooter, I'm a new member myself.lol..

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
One of the rotors is bent slightly most likely. not a huge big deal. No fix but replacement really.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I agree with the sanding. It's a lot harder to warp a rotor than people seem to think. Sanding is often the answer. And no need for it to be light. If a rotor sanded down too much that easily they would last about 200 miles. But the reality is that it doesn't take much. I had a guy give me a set of Baer rotors off a Corvette once because he was pissed that Baer would not stand behind them. I sanded them - maybe two minutes for each rotor and they were as good as new.

A

·
0 Posts
How many miles are on your used bike? I have close to 7000 miles and I'm no where near needing rotors or pads yet. I don't generally brake hard though, I let the engine help slow me down.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: Took bike to Kawi dealer and had them look at it. They said it needs new rotors. Luckily for me I purchased an extended warranty when I purchased the bike and Kawasaki will honor this as a warranty repair. I know this is unusual as rotors could be seen as normal wear and tear, so thanks Kawasaki!!!

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
Easy to bend a rotor with a tire machine or by improper handling.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update Problem Fixed: Just got it back from the Kawasaki dealer. Ends up it was the rotors. Kawi even covered it under warranty. (just bought the bike with extended warranty) Thanks Kawi!!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Glad to hear buddy.....now go ride that thing:alcy:

·
Registered
422 Posts
i just bled the oil in my front calipers and after only 2000 miles it was pitch black.. something is up with the system, when i change pads next time i will reflush the system and properly lube the pistons and seals.

·
Registered
242 Posts
+1 for extended warranty

1 - 17 of 17 Posts