RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Under medium braking when entering a left-hand corner (we ride on the left) (bad choice of apex!) the front brakes of my 650R pulled quite hard to the right, thus pushing me into the middle of the road. Is this a normal occurrence to right the bike up I wonder. Any comments are welcome.

·
Banned
2,525 Posts
Well, I can say it's not your brakes which pulled you, it was something else. Even if one side of your brakes was working, it would not pull the bike like a car with one bad caliper and one good one. Motorcycles don't work like that.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
I don't know how much experience you have but that is a remark typically made by a total rookie......with no experience and no training.

When IN a corner, anything that slows you down tends to make the bike "stand up" and straighten your line.
This is true of rolling off the throttle or applying the brakes.
The effect is WAY worse if your body is leaning the wrong way too.

THAT is why it is not good to slow down while IN a turn.
Your breaking should be done BEFORE actually entering the corner so that you can keep a steady or slightly increased throttle during the actual turn.

BUT sometime it is necessary to slow while IN a turn......so you should practice doing that off-road so you will know how to deal with it.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
As per Easyriders last paragraph, I have slowed in a turn a sometimes, but usually all that is needed is to back off of the throttle some, turn in more, and then increase throttle again. But you should always brake before the turn, lean in and maintain but preferably accelerate throughout the turn. If you don't feel you can accelerate through the turn then you probably didn't brake enough before the turn. To much brake while in a turn will stand the bike up or worse make you high side.
I have also used some rear brake when doing a Uturn at a stoplight.
Bottom line is braking while turning can affect steering and your line.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Have you had a recent drop? Sounds like something is mechanically tweaked (or worn). Could even just be your tires. That is pretty much what I gathered while searching.

You are even lucky enough to get a lesson on braking while cornering. :)

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
I like your question, and your reasoning. Its obvious you thought about what was going on...

I think its fine that he might be a rookie and new. We were all there once. ALso, by asking this "rookie' question in the way he did, hes goig to get an honest answer vs the know it all who is afraid of sounding new.

BUT, in the old days...well, even small bikes now, use only one disc up front, and dont pull when braking in a straight line. In the old days, with tiny fork tubes, this did happen, but even then it was gradual, and very subtle. Not like a car with a bad front caliper. We rely on the axle, tubes, and triple clamps to keep it straight, even if oen caliper is not working, or missing.

Most bikes do this, to oen degree or another. My old xs11 woudl stand straight up if you looked at the front brake.

As the guys say here, at this point, you dont really want to be using your front brake in a turn. You will be able to later, but right now your palying with fire if you do.

Mastering the rear brake is the secret to riding slow..parking lot slow..and will prevent a lot of low speed accidents.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Mastering the rear brake is the secret to riding slow..parking lot slow..and will prevent a lot of low speed accidents.
Just step on it as hard as you can. Fishtailing is fun!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the comments. I should have mentioned that this happened once only in an emergency situation due to losing sight of my vanishing point (distracted by a hesitant pheasant!). I'm a rookie on this small bike, been riding on and off for(wait for it) 46 years but on heavier bikes and recently briefly on a KLR650. It sounds as if the bike standing up is a normal reaction, I've been replicating a milder version of the emergency corner braking and the bike remain stable. Moral of the story, don't get distracted and keep looking at where you want the bike to travel to.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
Moral of the story, don't get distracted and keep looking at where you want the bike to travel to.
And make sure that you are leaning the right way in turns.

If you start watching riders take curves, it is AMAZING how many actually are leaning the wrong way.

If you started doing it wrong way back in the beginning, it's a hard habit to break.......especially if you don't realize that you are doing it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Leaning the body the right way but keeping the head on a level plane. Thanks for all your input. Did 425 kms yesterday on 3rd category road with lots of twists and turns. The only distraction is the beautiful countryside, rivers, lakes and volcanos. Thank you all for your input.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts