RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding on my favorite stretch of road today and noticed a horrible shimmy in the front end. Thinking it was time to get a new front tire (9000 mi), I continued on my route and didn't give it much more thought until I got home. I then started to inspect the remaining rubber on the front tire and holy s*#+ the front wheel was loose. My axle had come loose just enough to give the front end a wiggle. I loosened the two allen heads up front and found two full rotations of turn on the axle.

Everyone may want to check yours. It was a pretty scary feeling thinking of a great lean angle going bad.

·
Registered
965 Posts
That's really scary man! What about the two allen screws, where they tight? They are supposed to keep the axle from turning lose.
Aris

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The outside allen screw was tight but the inside one was loose. I guess it was a good thing that the outside one was not loose, or the whole thing might of come apart. Pretty scary thought. This is the first bike I have owned that had a backup for the axle. But it is the first bike that had an axle come loose. Go figure!!:rolleyes:

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Did your bikes come with a 12mm Allen for the front axle? I had to buy one.:?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. The bike did not come with the 12mm allen. You would think that kawi would throw one in the tool kit. But what is in there that is really useful?!! I pretty much trashed the stock kit and filled it with craftsman grade tools.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Mine too!

After reading your thread yesterday, I checked mine when I got it into the garage at work. Left side OK, Right side LOOSE, both allen screws. Outside screwed in1/2 a turn casually, another 1/4 with a little wrist pressure.
inside was about 1/4 turn out with no pressure, half again with. I'll be checking the whole bike over this weekend and snugging it up. Probably not a bad idea to check it on a regular basis since the bike sees regular 40 degree temp. weather changes.

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Yeah, thanks for the heads up. I checked mine today too, and the lower one on the right fork was loose! When I get the chance (soon), I'm going to go over the entire bike and nut and bolt it.

Also gonna give it a good cleaning (haven't de-gunked anything in a while), gonna lube everything (zerk fittings, etc.), bleed the brakes and lube the clutch cable as well. Might as well keep everything ship shape, right?

Emrah

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
One thing to kinda keep in mind when checking for loose nuts and bolts is that just about all of them have some kind of torque value. Especially the ones down on the forks that are close together like that. When you tighten one, it'll loosen the one next to it. If you get a over zealous on one and go over the torque spec and then bring the one next to up to that same amount (which is already over the spec) you have a good chance of twisting one of 'em off. Then you'll really have your hands full. Just something to keep in mind:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts