RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new here, my name's Simon. I recently picked up a 2003 Z1K, and am going through it to make sure all the maintenance is up to date. It had the typical valve cover weep at the left front and I didn't know if the valves had been adjusted on schedule, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to check them since I had the VC off. anyway when I went to pick up the CV to put it back on I found this tiny O-ring setting on top of the right side reed valve. I suppose it could have fallen there during the disassemble or it could have been under the reed valve cover when I took them off. Does anyone have any Idea where it may have come from or goes? It measures about 6.2mm OD and 2.7mm ID.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So it seems that noone else has seen this little o-ring before. For now I guess I'll just reassemble without it, and if anyone figures it out I go back in and replace it at that time.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Looks like a fuel line o ring maybe off a fuel injector. If you didn't take them out, then never mind. Looking through the manual I can't find anything.

Do you have the service manual?? If not I can email you a copy.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I've recieved a pdf of the manual in my PM box, and will be looking through it for Ideas on the o-ring source. I looked through the online parts diagrams on Kaw's website and didn't cone up with anything in my initial search.

I don't know if the cover has been off the engine before in the past or not. The bike didn't come with any service history, so I don't know if they did the previous scheduled valve adjustment or not.

It seems interesting to me that I found the o-ring on top of the crank case breather reed valve, so it really hadn't made it into the engine. I would be supprised if it could have made it past the reeds on the way out.

The o-ring doesn't appear to have taken any kind of set from beeing installed either.

The only thing I can think of that would run an o-ring this small is possibly the Pilot Air Screw. I didn't pull my pilot screws to confirm o-rings size or that they all are or are not present. If anyone would happen to have avvess to a throttle body that could confirm the oring size on the pilot screw it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
883 Posts
i just had my valve cover off to switch out my gasket and i don't remember seeing anything like that in there. Of course if i did have one fall off I don't know about it and its probably still in there..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took the cover off of the reed valves on my 03 z1000 today and found that exact same oring. No clue where it came from, so I put it back together without.....hmmm odd

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still haven't figured it where it came from. Reassembled without it and have seen no ill effect in over a year. Still curious though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found the same o-ring when doing the valve adjustments on my Z750S. It is from the air valve switch assembly. I also found a locking washer in the rubber hose going from the air valve to the air box. Apparently the washer is snapping off and the rubber o-ring is getting sucked to the cam shaft vent.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for mthe info. It great that someone finally found the source. Guess I'll have to take a look at the air valve switch asembly.

Thanks again,
Simon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts