RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day my buddy sent me this website for ECU reflashes, so I started checking it out and sending some emails. Sure enough they do have a tune for the Ninja 1000 and Z1000. They say it adds 6-12% more power, totaly derestricts the bike, and some other odd and end stuff. They can also tune if for anything you have done. The price is a little expensive I thought but I'm not sure how much others charge for reflashes, the price is $450 plus about $10 shipping. They say the turn around is about 48 hours. The website is www.ecunleashed.com not sure if anyone has mentioned it on here but figured I would. I'm possibly going to give this place a try, and if I do I will let you all know how it turns out! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I don't know anything about it. But I would do a lot of research. Setting the A/F ratios is pretty straight forward because you can easily put the bike on a dyno and see what the A/F ratio is before and after. But if they change the ignition timing there is no method on the bike to sense and retard timing in the event of detonation.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I emailed them they said they do have a tune for my bike it's just not on the website.

·
Registered
571 Posts
A reflash sounds interesting, but for me this bike has more than enough power.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
There is a lot of info out there on ecu unleashed.Try an internet search. I've never tried them as it sounded liek abetter idea to go with a PCV after reading their reviews.

Some guys had great success, others not so much so.

Think about it. They are testing and modifying bikes in their state..whatever that is. The modded ecu's get shipped all over the country. Different bike, different fuel, etc. How can a generic map possibly work 100% with so man variables? It cannot. I agree, its probably better. Kawasaki has its hands tied living up to epa rules. However, theres no way generic mapping on an ecu will match what a knowledgeable tuner can do on a bike locally.

If the cost ws 200.00, its woudl be worth a try. At 450, thats getting very close to a pcv and dyno time. Or a pcv and autotune that will let you guild your own map. Plus, it beats sending the ecu back should a person add a different exhaust or airfilter. Plus, who is responsible if the ecu turns into a brick during the mods? What will it do to any remaining warranty?

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
There are several shops now that will re-flash ECUs. I believe they are all using the same (one and only) tool out of Italy and they are sharing the same base map information. The individual shops may tweak the base maps to their liking if they find the dyno time but I don't think they are. It's a generic tune that works pretty good. They de-restrict the timing in the lower 3 gears (EPA crap), remove the fuel cut and top speed limiter, open the flies sooner and do a basic fuel remap for the flies in place. They can modify anything the ECU does but stick to basic stuff so as to not totally screw things up.

DJB, Lodi and a couple others have had theirs flashed and like it. The shops have horrible customer service which makes it tough to deal with them or get any info but you do get your ECU back eventually. If your bike is stock, it's a no brainer flash. If you pull the flies, open the airbox and add a full exhaust, their fuel maps may not be perfect but still work "ok". The ultimate setup is the ECU flash for timing restrictions, fuel cut and speed limiter combined with a PCV with custom fuel map.

Ivan is rumored to be playing with ECU flashing.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Ivan is rumored to be playing with ECU flashing.
I'll wait for Ivan ;-) In the meantime, I feel like the Ninja 1000 is not really lacking for power as-is; it's the suspension that has lots of room for improvement.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Somewhere around here it says Ivan ditched the ECU reflash project...

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Somewhere around here it says Ivan ditched the ECU reflash project...
I had a feeling he might abandon the flashing effort. He was never crazy about the idea but I think he got tired of hearing folks talk about it and had to see what all the noise was about. The amount of work it takes to crack the ECU code combined with the cost of the tool makes it a daunting task that's difficult to undertake without a heavy hitting software team and a lot of time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm still struggling with the lack of ecu flash facilities. Definitely agree that sending your ecu off to get the map loaded is less than ideal and would not do it as each bike is individual and to get maximum benefits from the Flash u need it on the dyno..... But surely a flash tune done on a dyno has to beat the pcv.... You can change the parameters so much easier etc.... . Anyway my2c

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
I got that feeling as well, from Ivan, when I bought my stuff from him. I do agree a reflash might be easier, but th ePCV is not bad to deal with at all. Its easy to program. The auto tune option is cool as well.

Plus, I believe I'm too old. I remember havign a guy give you jettign specs on a bike. You'd get the jets and drop them in. It rarely, if ever worked. You were always a step or two away from what his bike needed. With the new electronic controls, I imagine this to be less of an issue, but I'll bet its still there.

I've also see a lot of posts being critical of the companies we're familiar with that do thsi mod. I trust Ivan to reflash my ecu, but not so sure about the others.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Agreed the trust factor is tough when you're dealing with not knowing how these places obtain the firmware for the flashes

I've chatted with a couple riders that have done this. Two bought a spare ecu to keep them riding while the other was away getting flashed. The link I posted for Guhl Motors, the crew works closely with the owner of each new model they reflash and get specifics on all modifications made to the bike thats being used as the model so they are able to work apples to apples. High praises for the cust service

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
The ECU flash is by far the most elegant method. Nice and clean, no third party devices to "splice" into the system with potential for failure down the road.

I am surprised that some motorhead super geek squad hasn't risen to the top of this great potential. I fear that by the time an outfit with the customer service and the know-how to streamline the process to make it more feasable comes along, the EPA & DOT will squash the program making it all for naught.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
The ECU flash is by far the most elegant method. Nice and clean, no third party devices to "splice" into the system with potential for failure down the road.

I am surprised that some motorhead super geek squad hasn't risen to the top of this great potential. I fear that by the time an outfit with the customer service and the know-how to streamline the process to make it more feasable comes along, the EPA & DOT will squash the program making it all for naught.
Shhhhh

·
Registered
2,779 Posts

And that's probably why no one wants to invest in this venture large scale... the government could kill your return on investment before you recoup your start-up costs.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
I love the idea of a reflash. Its advantages over adding extra electronics makes a lot of sense.

With that said, I just added the Ivans pcv with a map switch. I have two maps from Ivans loaded right now. A performance and a economy map. If this were a reflash, which map would be loaded? Maybe the mapping does not need to be exact, or I'm making too big of a deal out of it???

It feels like I have endless choices at my level....Lets call my level a "special" level since I have lots of experience with carb jetting, but almost zero with fuel injection.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts