RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,as some of you know I make the Hotbox and cowling for the 1500-1600 Vulcan line.I am finally ready (after getting a lot of request)to start making forward controls.I need your input on what you think are the best ideas from what is out there.I recently purchased a set of Jardine controls.
They use the stock master cylinder and reservoir.There approach is to extend the length of the arms and leave everything else in the stock location.
Most controls for H.D.use an aftermarket master cylinder and move the mounting locations forward and use shorter arms.I like the shorter arms
idea and the aftermarket master cylinder looks better than the stock pieces.The aftermarket master cylinder is a price issue though.Please give me your thoughts and pics of some styles you like.The Jardines are for sale if anyone is interested.They are new and still in the Jardine box.I just needed them to see how they addressed the issue.I will be making a set of mid controls for myself.

Thanks much
Dave Davis
[email protected]
540-872-3977

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Aftermarket would always look better than a cheap plastic container.
True, but that's also price/market dependent. I think one of the biggest obstacles for most of us in getting forwards is the price factor. Jardines are hella-expensive. For the money, you could get 2/3 of the Big 3 done and still have enough left over for a dyno tune.

What I'd personally like to see is something that utilizes the stock mounting locations, stock components but hides them better, and extends the pegs out. But, and this is a big but, they have to be stylish and customizable with finishes. Everyone makes chrome, so I'd never buy 'em just to have 'em powdercoated black to match my SE. I'd rather have the option from the manufacturer.

Price tolerance? Honestly, I may go up to about $500, maybe a hair more if they're really bangin, but less with quality would be nice.

My 5 cents. :)

·
Registered
9,019 Posts
i just recently purchased a set of jardines off eBay for my m95. They were for the Kawasaki nomad non FI. these fit perfectly on both sides but the brake side needed to have the master cylinder shaft shortened and the return spring had to also be shortened. other than that they worked great. I got these for $152.50 new in the box shipped, one heck of a deal. I am only 5' 10" so they are about 2" to far forward. I put a set of risers on the handle bars (scootwerks 2.5" ) and that changed my riding position and now they feel pretty good. The only problem I am having is the rear brake does not have the stopping power i had with the stock set up. I think that the ratio on the arm is less with the jardines, so this is an area that needs looked at. try to stick with the same ratio as stock or a little more than stock. has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
i just recently purchased a set of jardines off eBay for my m95. They were for the Kawasaki nomad non FI. these fit perfectly on both sides but the brake side needed to have the master cylinder shaft shortened and the return spring had to also be shortened. other than that they worked great. I got these for $152.50 new in the box shipped, one heck of a deal. I am only 5' 10" so they are about 2" to far forward. I put a set of risers on the handle bars (scootwerks 2.5" ) and that changed my riding position and now they feel pretty good. The only problem I am having is the rear brake does not have the stopping power i had with the stock set up. I think that the ratio on the arm is less with the jardines, so this is an area that needs looked at. try to stick with the same ratio as stock or a little more than stock. has anyone else had this issue?
You use your rear brake? :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts