RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I'm a recent owner of a 2001 ZR-7s--purchased in Feb 2011 with 16,000 miles on it. I believe I'm the 3rd owner. So far, I'm pretty happy with the bike. It starts easily, has decent power, carburettes well, has a nice exhaust roar(even on stock mufflers), handles well at low speed and is stable at high speeds.
However, I've had problems with the forks.

I took the bike for a highway run in the spring and the roads were not good. (We had a terrible winter 2010-2011 in the Northeast of the US) When I got back from the run, I noticed that my right fork seal was busted and was making squeking noises. The prognosis from my mechanic: busted fork seals and the right fork was badly scratched by the metal rings in the busted fork seals. The left fork had some small scratches. Ordered new right fork tube from kawasaki and replaced the fork springs with Racetech springs and also new fork oil.

A few weeks after the work was done, I noticed that the left fork was now leaking a little oil, not much, but enough that I could see it. Right fork was fine. No oil leaking at all. Took it back to my mechanic and he said that the left fork tube needs to be replaced too. So, once again, ordered the part from Kawasaki and replaced the left fork seal.

Long story, I know. After the left fork tube was replaced, I still am noticing that there is a little oil leaking from the fork seal. Not much but I can see oil on the fork tube. The right fork is clean. No oil whatsoever. I brought it back to my mechanic and he said he'll have to order a new set of seals and try to seal the left fork again.

Has anyone here run into the same problems with the zr-7 forks?

·
Registered
324 Posts
well mine has 30k on the clock but it is the 04 model, the right fork seal is on its way out but iv never had any problems with oil leaks.
so it could just be a fuilty fork seal, if the seal is even slightly damaged then it can leak.
hope u get if fixed and welcome to the forum friend :welcome:

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks iride,
I figure it was just my bad luck with the forks on this bike. Will update this thread with new developments of my zr-7 fork saga.

·
Registered
324 Posts
no worrys mate
out of interest did u have to replce anything else when u replaced ur seals?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi iride,
I didn't do the work myself.
According to my mechanic, he replaced the fork oil with #10 weight fork oil and also installed Racetech fork springs, in addition to installing the new fork seals. The seals he used was not from Kawasaki.
(But this time around, he's ordering the seals from big K).

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,140 Posts
A few have been reported with leaking fork seals but not any more than any other bike.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hi iride,
I didn't do the work myself.
According to my mechanic, he replaced the fork oil with #10 weight fork oil and also installed Racetech fork springs, in addition to installing the new fork seals. The seals he used was not from Kawasaki.
(But this time around, he's ordering the seals from big K).
Ahh cheers for that, how much did it cost if u dont mine me asking? As i said before my seals are on the way out

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Iride,
My mechanic charged me $60 per hour for labor plus the cost of the fork seals and fork oil.
It really does depend on the estimate that the shop gives you. Some shops will estimate more than an hour for the job. The labor cost is probably the biggest cost. Some places here will charge $95 per hour.

If you think your seal is going, I'd advice you to change it as soon as possible. It'll save you the trouble of replacing the fork tube if the seal gets busted and also scratches the fork tube (as in my case). It's not easy to find good used ZR-7 fork tubes here and they are expensive when ordered from big "K".

(In my case, the job involved more than just replacing the oil and seals. My right fork tube was badly scratched by the busted seal ring metal spring and had to be replaced. Also, installed new Racetech springs)

·
Registered
324 Posts
ok thanks for the advice, ill probly try and replace the seals myself as i dont enjoy spending money on somthing i can do myself.
an hours labor is about £40-50 here which is reasonable but im not paying that if i can avoid it :D

·
Registered
986 Posts
an hours labor is about £40-50 here which is reasonable.......
An hour's labour may well be charged at £40-50 but the mechanic is paid nowhere near that amount.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wish I could do the fork maintenance myself, but my wrenching skills are laughably limited. I'm able to change engine oil, oil filter, spark plugs, cleaning and lubricating the chains. :(

·
Registered
151 Posts
Changing the fork seals isn't that hard if have or can make the tool to press the new seals in. I have a lathe so I turned a piece of plastic pipe to a slightly smaller diameter than the seal and then used that to tap the seal into place. I was putting in the Gold Valve Emulators so I did a lot more work than just the seals but I thought the bulk of the work was getting the forks off the bike. I also made a tool to set the air gap.

John

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Changing the fork seals isn't that hard if have or can make the tool to press the new seals in. I have a lathe so I turned a piece of plastic pipe to a slightly smaller diameter than the seal and then used that to tap the seal into place. I was putting in the Gold Valve Emulators so I did a lot more work than just the seals but I thought the bulk of the work was getting the forks off the bike. I also made a tool to set the air gap.

John
It's something I hope to be able to do in the future. At present, the lack of my own garage space stops me from contemplating attempting something like that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts