RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who want to do the swap, I will tell you all you need to complete it.

First of all, the front wheel is a direct swap. I bought a 08 wheel that came with it's own bearings and seals (same as 07 Z), I used my brake rotors, axle and spacers. I'm pretty sure previous years are the same but do your research for axle diameters and rotor compatibility.

Now for the rear wheel (I used a 04 wheel), you will first have to decide if you go with the Z axle or the 10R's. They both are the same lenght but different diameters. I went with the Z axle so I had to use matching bearings : front bearings of the Z (and many other Kawis) fit perfectly. So I used two of these bearings and one matching seal. Of course I also used the hub spacer(between the two bearings) from the Z, and I had 0.5mm removed from it to match the lenght of the ZX10 one.
Then I reused my sprocket carrier but the sleeve between the carrier bearing and the wheel bearing was now 2mm short on the wheel side. So instead of having a new one made, I just had a 2mm thick "washer" made and I used eletrical tape to hold them together.
The left side spacer can be reused but the right one is too short, it now needs to be 17mm long. So I used the plans for the front wheel spacers Expat (thanks to him) made and posted here : http://www.riderforums.com/showthread.php?t=42579 and had one made 4mm longer.
Now, the rear brake rotor from the Z will NOT fit the ZX10 wheel, so you will need a matching rotor, and being a smaller rotor, you will need matching caliper and braket... I used a 2000 ZX9R caliper and bracket that I got for 10$ but any ZX9R or 03-06 Z1000 caliper and bracket will work (If you use the ZX10 axle, I think you could use 06-07 ZX10 caliper). The banjo fitting on the caliper will now be 90 deg compared to stock, so if you use the rubber hose from the Z, it can probably be twisted without problem, but I just used a 03-06 Z1000 SS brake line. While I was there, I threw in EBC HH rear brake pads.
Now put it all together and see how well it fits. I was actually pleased to see I did not need any spacers for the caliper, the rotor just slips right in there!

I think that pretty much covers it all... I hope I forgot nothing and that everything is clear enough. Anyways, all questions are welcome.

Now some pics from the setup.
Of course the rear caliper and bracket will eventually be painted black but I could not wait to put the wheels on before the season finished (it just finished today and the bike is now in storage :mecry: )

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Looks real good man! Nice job.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Very interesting. How about weight, is it what kind of difference between Z1000 and 10R?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Very interesting. How about weight, is it what kind of difference between Z1000 and 10R?
I read it on here somewhere but depending on the year of Z and 10R there is no significant weight savings between the rims of each. This data included 636 numbers too I believe. In some cases the Z rims were lighter!! This mod is just for esthetics.

Great job, they look sweet.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Nice looking wheels on your z. Documenting your work looks to be very helpful for others wanting to perform the wheel swap.

Question though. Aren't the ZX-10 front rotors 320mm versus the 300mm of the Z? That being the case, and since you mentioned the Z rotors fit the ZX-10 wheels, Z owners with stock wheels could fit the 320mm rotors, up front, and space the radially mounted calipers with a 5mm spacer and longer mounting bolts. Braking would be improved since bigger is better, right?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice looking wheels on your z. Documenting your work looks to be very helpful for others wanting to perform the wheel swap.

Question though. Aren't the ZX-10 front rotors 320mm versus the 300mm of the Z? That being the case, and since you mentioned the Z rotors fit the ZX-10 wheels, Z owners with stock wheels could fit the 320mm rotors, up front, and space the radially mounted calipers with a 5mm spacer and longer mounting bolts. Braking would be improved since bigger is better, right?
Sorry didn't see that one before today...
I don't think ZX10 ever came with 320mm rotors, ZX14 do though. Maybe these would fit the Z wheels. The ZX10 now comes with 310mm, so I guess these could be used with proper spacers on the Z.

·
Registered
985 Posts
That looks great, very tastefully modded!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Wow you are my hero I just got my self a z1000 07 and i thought all hopes were lost for the wheels but last night i was up until 5 am and came across this gold mine of write up you did and now i can see that the zx10r wheels can fit . MY ex bike was a zx10r 04 and i felt in love with the wheels because of the design . I work at a bike shop so i can get the parts from the zx10r . Nice bike man

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow you are my hero I just got my self a z1000 07 and i thought all hopes were lost for the wheels but last night i was up until 5 am and came across this gold mine of write up you did and now i can see that the zx10r wheels can fit . MY ex bike was a zx10r 04 and i felt in love with the wheels because of the design . I work at a bike shop so i can get the parts from the zx10r . Nice bike man
Thanks for the props.
I have yet to see another 2nd gen with 10R wheels.
Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes thank you and if you dont mind me asking you what zx10r wheels did you use . I work at a bike shop and i pretty much have alot of kawi parts. I have a zx10r 04 05 front wheel and a zx10r 06 07 rear wheel ? Can this work ?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes thank you and if you dont mind me asking you what zx10r wheels did you use . I work at a bike shop and i pretty much have alot of kawi parts. I have a zx10r 04 05 front wheel and a zx10r 06 07 rear wheel ? Can this work ?
My rear wheel is a 04 and the front is 08 (it's been said in the original post).
As stated in the other thread, be sure the front wheel use a 25mm axle and it will bolt right up. Not sure wich year has it though.
The rear wheel should work as I described.

·
Registered
347 Posts
....Of course I also used the hub spacer(between the two bearings) from the Z, and I had 0.5mm removed from it to match the lenght of the ZX10 one.
Then I reused my sprocket carrier but the sleeve between the carrier bearing and the wheel bearing was now 2mm short on the wheel side. So instead of having a new one made, I just had a 2mm thick "washer" made and I used eletrical tape to hold them together.
The left side spacer can be reused but the right one is too short, it now needs to be 17mm long. So I used the plans for the front wheel spacers Expat made and had one made 4mm longer.
Hey NSF240sx,

I just started working on my ZX10R wheel swap today. The ZX10R front wheel is on, no problems there...and I have all the bearings and sleeves out of the rear wheel....I just came back here to read what you had done to verify my own work and I noticed something different...

I see you added 2mm on the spacer on the left side, and 4mm on the brake rotor side? 6mm total.

Before coming back to read this, I just assumed I was going to add 3mm to the spacers on each side, since I'll be installing bearings that are 3mm narrower. Still 6mm total, but slightly different than what you had done.

Did you measure yours somehow to figure out the 2mm and 4mm?

I'm just curious as I don't want to make any mistakes...

Also, what about the 0.5mm removed from the center axle tube, did you worry about trying to add it back somewhere else? Again, just curious.

I may measure everything together, and see what I get, and work from there...which should mean I'd have to make up 6.5mm in width overall...

Hmmmm?

Any thoughts??

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey NSF240sx,

I just started working on my ZX10R wheel swap today. The ZX10R front wheel is on, no problems there...and I have all the bearings and sleeves out of the rear wheel....I just came back here to read what you had done to verify my own work and I noticed something different...

I see you added 2mm on the spacer on the left side, and 4mm on the brake rotor side? 6mm total.

Before coming back to read this, I just assumed I was going to add 3mm to the spacers on each side, since I'll be installing bearings that are 3mm narrower. Still 6mm total, but slightly different than what you had done.

Did you measure yours somehow to figure out the 2mm and 4mm?

I'm just curious as I don't want to make any mistakes...

Also, what about the 0.5mm removed from the center axle tube, did you worry about trying to add it back somewhere else? Again, just curious.

I may measure everything together, and see what I get, and work from there...which should mean I'd have to make up 6.5mm in width overall...

Hmmmm?

Any thoughts??
That's been a while since I came on this forum... In fact since my bike is out for the winter. 25 pages of new posts says it all eh!

So you're testing my memory aren't you?
First, the axle tube was shortened 0.5mm to match the original ZX10 tube, so the bearings sit flush inside the wheel.
Then, I spaced the brake side so rotor bolts barely clear the caliper bracket, I couldn't go any closer. In fact, a bolt actually dig a small groove in the bracket... Nothing to worry about.
All that's left to do now is to measure the gap on the other side...
That's all I can think of right now, I hope it clears things up!

·
Registered
347 Posts
So you're testing my memory aren't you?
First, the axle tube was shortened 0.5mm to match the original ZX10 tube, so the bearings sit flush inside the wheel.
Then, I spaced the brake side so rotor bolts barely clear the caliper bracket, I couldn't go any closer. In fact, a bolt actually dig a small groove in the bracket... Nothing to worry about.
Ok, cool....thanks for the reply. I'll take some measurements and see what I come up with...lol. No worries.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts