RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm giving this a bit of thought after a pretty miserable ride the other day. It must be a giant hatch of flying ants here this weekend, and I've probably eaten about 100,000 of 'em in a 2-hour ride. Should have worn the fullface not the beanie, and the jacket instead of the vest. But, it got me thinking...

I'm against a windshield on these just slightly less than I am saddlebags. Sure, they serve a purpose, but I guess I'm just a "poser". (Homage there...)

For those that have a flyscreen, does it actually blow over you? If so, how tall are you? I'm a 6'4" behemoth and ride decently slouched over and stretched. Would one of these do anything in a buggy situation, or would I just be forcing more into my face?

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
It'll keep things off your chest but won't do anything for the face. They function more to prevent a death grip on long rides because your chest isn't acting like a sail trying to pull you back.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Like already mentioned, the flyscreen looks real good on the bike. Looks are more important than function for us "posers". The flyscreen does nothing for wind in the face unless maybe you lay down on the tank. I'm not that flexible to see if it really works.

Hey, on your bike you could get a blacked out screen with black hardware.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It'll keep things off your chest but won't do anything for the face. They function more to prevent a death grip on long rides because your chest isn't acting like a sail trying to pull you back.
Death grip I can handle. I like to stop frequently anyway, so I really never get all that battered by the wind. (I'm a people watcher....and I enjoy compliments!)

Like already mentioned, the flyscreen looks real good on the bike. Looks are more important than function for us "posers". The flyscreen does nothing for wind in the face unless maybe you lay down on the tank. I'm not that flexible to see if it really works.

Hey, on your bike you could get a blacked out screen with black hardware.
LOL Wise arse. :silly: But I did already think of having parts powdered black. :)

Thanks for the help, guys. :alcy:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I dunno about anyone else, but I love the looks of my flyscreen, and that's about it. It doesn't do anything IMO. They say it stops "chest blast"...ok, whatever the hell that is, sure. But I can't say it stops any bugs at all to the face..if anything, maybe it directs them up directly to the face. I get wacked all the time, so no it doesn't do much at all in that respect. But I love it, and generally I hate windshields, especially on a Meanie.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dunno about anyone else, but I love the looks of my flyscreen, and that's about it. It doesn't do anything IMO. They say it stops "chest blast"...ok, whatever the hell that is, sure. But I can't say it stops any bugs at all to the face..if anything, maybe it directs them up directly to the face. I get wacked all the time, so no it doesn't do much at all in that respect. But I love it, and generally I hate windshields, especially on a Meanie.
Thanks. That's exactly the affirmation I was looking for. :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
I hate a windshield on a meanie... but I have one!
I guess you could call this "which is the greater of the two evils"
All day riding with 60 to 70 mph wind on your chest and face or a windshield on our bikes. I've done without one once or trice and then got one and hated how it looks but the ride is MUCH better.

I have the new Speed Demon from M/S here a pix of it on the bike.
The W/S on the C50 looks right at home on that style of bike.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I hate a windshield on a meanie... but I have one!
I guess you could call this "which is the greater of the two evils"
All day riding with 60 to 70 mph wind on your chest and face or a windshield on our bikes. I've done without one once or trice and then got one and hated how it looks but the ride is MUCH better.

I have the new Speed Demon from M/S here a pix of it on the bike.
The W/S on the C50 looks right at home on that style of bike.

The windshield could not look any worse than engine guards on a mean streak.

I have one for my long rides (ten hours to Florida several times) and love it. I take it off once I get there, then back on for the return trip.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I went with memphis slim with gradient black and had the hardware all powdercoated black - well worth it. And I do notice I get pinged a lot more when I have the screen off.....

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Besides my flyscreen, the only other screen that I think looks OK on the meanstreak is the Kawaski screen or copies of that screen. It is narrow and flows with the lines of the bike.

I only wear full face helmets so the flyscreen does what I need it to do. I don't ride around town so heat is not an issue.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went with memphis slim with gradient black and had the hardware all powdercoated black - well worth it. And I do notice I get pinged a lot more when I have the screen off.....
Honest to Pete, I just looked at the pic of your bike and was trying to figure out what year that one was. D'oh!!! Guess it's been a while since mine looked stock.

Nice bike, man. ;) :D

Besides my flyscreen, the only other screen that I think looks OK on the meanstreak is the Kawaski screen or copies of that screen. It is narrow and flows with the lines of the bike.

I only wear full face helmets so the flyscreen does what I need it to do. I don't ride around town so heat is not an issue.
I think that the helmet selection is going to be my option. If it's buggy, I either get a free meal or I wear the fullface ICON.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
This one might work for you.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Or this one.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Or maybe this one.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
The ultimate Mean Streak Wind Screen.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I suppose if you raise the flyscreen up like this guy did it migh get the wind a little higher. Mine sits on the headlight and is angled back.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
This one is not too big.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts