RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, i just picked up an 01 zr7s that had had some minor bodywork done by moving asphault for a great price. anyway, i got her purring again only to find it pissing gas out the airbox (thanks keihin for not putting over flows on these carbs:yell:) after inspecting the carbs it appears the genius who owned the bike before me cleaned the cabs with a screwdriver because the float needle seats are gouged up inside. i tried polishing the seats with metal polish on a q-tip mounted in a hi-speed drill. while it slowed the leaking a good bit they still leak on and off. These are nonremovable seats; does anyone know or have tried freezing the seats w/ LN2 for removing and reinstalling? and assuming its doable where could i get new seats? (i suppose i could pull good seats from a cheap set of old zx carbs using the same method)
Any ideas guys?

** oops thought i had posted in the maintenance forum, my mistake

·
Registered
199 Posts
You may be able to machine the seats with various grades of grinding with a rotary tool. Your end result will need to be very smooth and very precise otherwith the needle valves will not sit right. That said if the seats are screwed anyway then no harm done.

How do the float needle valves look? They may be grooved also. I'd check them before working on the valve seats.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You may be able to machine the seats with various grades of grinding with a rotary tool. Your end result will need to be very smooth and very precise otherwith the needle valves will not sit right. That said if the seats are screwed anyway then no harm done.

How do the float needle valves look? They may be grooved also. I'd check them before working on the valve seats.
needles look fine, the rubber tip isnt grooved and is nice and soft. theyre sitting in a mason jar full of gas and a little brake fluid to soften the tip a little more. well see if that will be good enough with a little more needle seat polishing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looks like the gas/brake fluid bath did the job. :headbang: the last carb(the one with the tps) still leaks sometimes. i think im going to try a new float needle and see if that takes care of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts