RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dirty Dawg
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about you folks but lately I've been dreaming of strafing fast third- and fourth-gear apexes on Yamaha's new FJR1300. Less than 600 pounds, 145 hp, 90 lb-ft, 40+ mpg, shaft-drive, R1 brakes--sounds about perfect to me. All for about $10K.

Of course, here in the land of the free and brave, how often would one get the opportunity to use up all of third and most of fourth on such a machine. Not often, methinks. Still, a mighty fine mount for someone like me, who seems most happy when he's able to pile on the miles in search of new twisties.

Then again, I think a ZX-9R would be just about perfect for that duty . . .

--Tim

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Beautiful machine. I'm not positive, but I read in a post on one of the sportbike sites yesterday that Yamaha was finally going to bring it here to the States within the year. Ever since this model was introduced overseas, American riders have been pleading, begging, crying for this thing to come over here, but Yamaha kept saying they weren't sure if there was enough interest. I think with the new Honda ST1300 coming out as competition, there'll be plenty of interest. Let's hope they bring it over. Not that I can afford one...

Emrah

·
Dirty Dawg
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yamaha USA finally convinced Yamaha Japan to bring it to the States. And it sounds like dealers are recieving incentives to make sure the thing sells: A number of Americans on the FJR owners' board report having already bought one for much less than MSRP. Now they just have to wait until August when the bikes are due. I figure I'll be waiting quite a bit longer than that . . .

--Tim

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
I've been looking at it too, think Speed Channel had a little something on it. Now, what's the differences between the Yamaha, and the Kawi ZZR1200 ?. They seem to be filling in the Super sport tourer market. I can definitely see myself in this market some day.

·
Dirty Dawg
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FJR vs. ZZR

The Kawasaki is chain-drive and does not have an integrated luggage kit. The Yamaha is a shaftie with integrated hard luggage. Don't know what sort of power the ZZR will put out but it's probably a safe bet that it will be more than enough. I would guess the ZZR will be quite a bit lighter as well. Should make for an interesting comparison.
--Tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts