RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son was just practising his kick boxing and managed to kick my bike onto a brick wall (don't ask). So there is this tiny little scratch on the edge of the rear cowling, with the black plastic showing through.

Apart from using one of those coloured car polish products, can anyone suggest anything else?

It's really small, but I'm a bit anal about this stuff (my baby, my baby, my poor poor baby).:mecry:

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really ?

I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
crayons, no kidding. it's the same principle as those colored car poishes, it sticks to and fills in the scatched area with a color that's close.

if it doesn't work you can buy some color matched touch up but that will cost you $30, one silver base coat and one clear blue over coat.

i'm looking for a color that's close and readily avaialable in touch up bottles; something that's not perfect but will do for tiny scratches that you don't want rusting. so far the vehicles i've seen that are closest are a blue used on dodge neons and another blue used on late model mustangs. i'm still trying to find one of each of these in a parking lot while i'm riding so that i can match the bike up to it and see which is closer.

hope this helps :)

scott

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Hi Scottmac,

I didn't want to downplay your agony. That really does suck and I know how you feel. I like to keep my ride perfect also. I clean it after every ride.

Here is a link to a company who provides color matched paints:

http://www.color-rite.com/

Andy

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No wukkins Andy :)

I'll try the crayon suggestion first (thought of nail polish, but if it turns out to be the wrong colour, I'd never get it off).

[Boy oh boy are my new hooters loud - I'm just itching for an occasion (a SAFE occasion) when I have the need to give someone a blast.]

Scott (mac99)

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
scottmac
[Boy oh boy are my new hooters loud
Silicone or saline?........:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think your idea of nail polish would be good for a base coat and then use some color wax. I hate scratches also but a new tail section is around 275.00 without decals(65.00 for 2).

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's never easy to apply touch-up paint. The end result is always far from satisfactory. What I have learned recently was not to use touch-up paint whenever possible, but cover it with stickers. If stickers won't do, I'll use those carbon-look sheet. I got one 12" x 18" for Aus$29. I covered the winglets on my footpegs last night to hide the scrubbed paint by my boots.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
O mi god !! - how did you know ?????

1 - 12 of 12 Posts