RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so on the 3rd I went for a 250 mile ride through the twisties. We went to pine valley and Sunrise HWY. The first 3-4 hours were great. After eating lunch, we started back on the roads. I was tired and was thinking of calling it a day. The group I was with (5 in total) decided to head up Mesa Grande before we all separated for home. I was just starting to head up the road at the first left hander that immediately turned into another left hander. when my front tire slipped. I looked at the edge of the road, and of course that's where I went. I ended up off the road in the ditch up against the twisty road warning sign and a barbed wire fence. We dug out my bike, which sucked because as we pulled it out, it was shoveling more dirt into the fairings making it even more difficult. Anyway, we got the bike back up on the road and she started up immediately. I checked the bike out and everything was still working. The right lower fairing was toucing the exhaust and statred to melt. I removed the lowers and tucked them under my tailbag for the ride home. Stopped at a gas station before riding home and checked my tire pressure. Front and rear tires were low. I hadn't checked them in a couple of weeks and stupidly rushed to the meet up for the ride without checking them. Lessons learned, Always check your tires before a ride, and if you're tired , call it a day.
My gear protected me very well. Only had a friction burn on my left elbow, and some very minor scratches to my left lateral knee. After getting home and checking my bike out thoroughly. I found 2 or 3 spots on the fairings that had minor cracks and some deep scratches from mostly the barbed wire I think. The left front turn signal lens was cracked, and 1 of the tabs on the headlight housing broke off. My left mirror stem is slightly bent but not much. Also, some scratches to the alternator cover. I think what saved the bike was my left Cortech saddlebag. One of the securing straps popped a seem.
So now I'm in the process of getting her back on the rode. I've fixed the plastics and the turn signal. Started painting my fairings and decide to add some color to them. Here are some pics of the work in progress. Should be done in about a week.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More Pics

Some More...

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More...

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last pic...
It definately is not a "professional" paint job, but hey, it's my first attempt. I'll post some more when I get it all done.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Dude -
Glad you're ok. Good for you for wearing gear. I'm sure you would have been a lot more scraped up had you not been wearing it.
I'll bet now you wont ever ride without it!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dude -
Glad you're ok. Good for you for wearing gear. I'm sure you would have been a lot more scraped up had you not been wearing it.
I'll bet now you wont ever ride without it!
Thanks man. I like your SIG. LOL

·
Registered
540 Posts
glad your ok. how was do you think you were going? pics of the gear?

on to the bike... what you using to get the tabs back on? is that silicone I see?

what you painting with? etc..

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hard luck there Kawi, but glad to see you jumping into modding the bike straight away!
The new paint job looks great, can't wait to see the finished product!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
glad your ok. how was do you think you were going? pics of the gear?

on to the bike... what you using to get the tabs back on? is that silicone I see?

what you painting with? etc..
Didn't take any pics of my gear because there was nothing to see. It all worked well and shows barely a scuff. Speed was about 25 MPH, so not fast at all. To repair the plastics I used ColorRites Plastic Repair Kit. Also, ColorRite Aerosol Spray paint. It's expensive. $33 a can.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hard luck there Kawi, but glad to see you jumping into modding the bike straight away!
The new paint job looks great, can't wait to see the finished product!
Thanks man! I'll get pics up when I'm done. Gonna replace my tires (Still good, but I lost confidence in them) with the Pirelli Angel ST's, and add the reflective rim tape from Tapeworks.

·
Registered
309 Posts
This is the time of year when a lot of these posts start showing up. Two out of the last three years I've broken bones in the last week of October, heh. I'm glad to hear that you didn't get too busted up and have learned from the wreck, that's the best we can hope for.

·
Registered
73 Posts
get off

bummer sorry to hear it.good advice about the tires but especially about being tired.thats more dangerous.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts