RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd take the time to finally post on what seems like a great community! Been lurking for awhile doing research and such.

However, I am now the proud owner of a 2007 Ninja 650r! I completed the MSF course a few weeks ago and have been waiting for the right deal ever since. Taking it slow and learning still but having a great time. I also haven't ridden it much because I know I need to do and oil change and coolant change/flush this weekend.

The previous owner had it knocked over by a drunk which cracked the coolant overflow. I ordered a new one and hopefully it will be here before the holiday weekend. However, I am uncertain as to whether I should do a coolant change or flush? The service manual I know details a coolant change but I haven't seen anything about flushing the system other than rinsing with distilled water. Is there also an air bleed bolt that I should be concerned about or can I simply rinse a few times with distilled water and then fill up with coolant? For the coolant I plan on getting some premixed Prestone.

Any advice is appreciated and sorry if this has been asked before but I wasn't able to find anything specific about the air bleed.

Thanks!

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
Look inside the overflow bottle, at the bottom of the radiator cap and peer down into the core.
If you do NOT see any signs of buildup or corrosion, then all you need is a drain and refill.
Be sure the coolant you get is non-silicate and safe for aluminum (most is these days).
There may be more than one drain point.
Someone with a shop manual should be able to tell you that.
The "air bleed" point typically is the radiator cap.

Please take your old coolant in for recycling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. From what I've gathered from the service manual there is only one drain bolt that needs to be removed. Just checked the shipping on my new overflow and looks like it will be here on time! I will also be sure to recycle the coolant, don't want any animals getting at it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts