RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never had any problems with the bike firing until just recently. It fires cold just fine with no choke (I've never had to choke it) but now, especially if I fire it up warm, it'll turn over 5-10 times before firing. Once, it turned over maybe 15 times without starting so I turned the throttle open a couple of times and hit it again and it started up. Once it's running, it goes fine, no idle or throttle issues while riding. What's the deal? (It has about 18K miles.)

·
Registered
204 Posts
My ride has around 15K on it now. I never used the choke when it was new. Now I have to use the choke almost everytime.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
could it be needing a FI cleaning ?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the "choke" on the meanies just idle the throttle up and not choke the intake like on a carburetor? If so, then giving the throttle a slight twist would do the same thing as the "choke."

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the "choke" on the meanies just idle the throttle up and not choke the intake like on a carburetor? If so, then giving the throttle a slight twist would do the same thing as the "choke."
there is the choke on the clutch side and a idle knob on the brake side...two different things I think

·
Registered
346 Posts
Seafoam, throttle body cleaning, PC3 signal wire, dying battery
When you say throttle body cleaning, do you mean take it off and clean it or just run some fuel system cleaner through it like seafoam?

I've noticed my bike has started doing the same thing on starting, taking several turns to crank, warm or cold. Knowing this, I bet this is what is also causing the vibration I'm experiencing. I'm gonna run some seafoam through it by tomorrow, then check my tps connection w/ the pcIII.

·
Registered
694 Posts
they do the same thing one is just an easy on off for cold starts and the other lets you set it for ever so to speak. I use seafoam as a winter stabilizer and twice a season and have had no problems at all (17k).

·
Registered
998 Posts
Are you using any extra electronics on the bike? I'd vote for checking the battery first, especially if you have any add ons. I have had the same type of problem and it was heated gear drawing too many amps. The charging system couldn't keep up.

·
Registered
998 Posts
there is the choke on the clutch side and a idle knob on the brake side...two different things I think
The choke you speak of is actually a fast idle knob and doesn't close the throttle body like a traditional choke does.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts