RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
MeanStreak 1600 2006
3 Posts
I'd like to know too. My recently purchased 2006 1600 gets quite warm, i can hold my hand on it, its uncomfortable but not so hot that i have take hand off it. It does seem to cool down a bit after 10 or so mins resting.

·
Super Moderator
2,430 Posts
I'd like to know too. My recently purchased 2006 1600 gets quite warm, i can hold my hand on it, its uncomfortable but not so hot that i have take hand off it. It does seem to cool down a bit after 10 or so mins resting.
It's a gearbox, it's going to get hot through friction. If you haven't changed the oil for a while - do that. Old oil can cause heating as it's not structurally working as it should. My experience with Guzzis and cars is that NO-ONE ever changed their diff oil. Try it - makes a big difference.

·
Banned
MeanStreak 1600 2006
3 Posts
It's a gearbox, it's going to get hot through friction. If you haven't changed the oil for a while - do that. Old oil can cause heating as it's not structurally working as it should. My experience with Guzzis and cars is that NO-ONE ever changed their diff oil. Try it - makes a big difference.
Might I suggest first that its more like a differential than a gearbox. I know its gonna get hot. I know that the oil needs to be changed. I know that there are only two plugs and 200ml of oil later the job is down. That was not my question! Let me re-phrase my question..."how hot is too hot?" Apart from shoving a thermometer up its rear end I could not know how hot the diff gets. Thats why I used the illustration of holding my hand on it. If I and two bikes I could compare the heat between the two, but alas I am not as fortunate as some and only have the one bike. Anyhow my question was answered by a more friendlier poster. If any one is interested his suggestion was ....."if you can hold your hand on it for 5 seconds or more, then its acceptable"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts