RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Did you answer his question?

Is there any other alternative if I cannot find the problem than taking it to the dealer? The answer is no, not really.

It is interesting that when you are treated like you treat others you cry foul.

I had a much better answer, and gave it in detail. I was attempting to help someone, not talk down to them or be a wise butt.
And you said you like him lol.

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
And you said you like him lol.
I do like him, and I have respect for him. But when he is wrong he is wrong, and I have no hard time telling him so.

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
When someone replaces a battery, it could be just a bad battery. Or it could be a weak charging system that is barely able to charge the battery, leading it to discharge slowly while the bike is running.

Being as the battery was just replaced, and I don't have the bike in front of me to look at (quite often just seeing the bike and owner, and talking to them give you clue's to help you figure out whats wrong) checking the charging system seems like the best place to start.

Interestingly most cars will run with no battery, meaning you can start the car and leave it running and then pull the battery out of it without killing it. Most motorcycles are NOt this way, even if the charging system is tip top it will not stay running if the battery is disconnected.

The reason that is important is because if you jump if off another vehicle and it starts, but dies the instant you remove a jumper cable well that's a completely dead battery. As in it's no longer any good. It takes a bunch of energy to start the bike, but does not require very much to keep it running in comparison. So if the battery is just low on a charge or old or marginal when you pull a jumper cable it should keep running. It may run poorly or stumble a bit especially when you rev it up, but it won't die right away. Just another clue..

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It's funny how our bike works. If the meter unit couldn't talk to the ECU, it throws a Service Code 39 (yep, meter unit NOT the ECU). However, if the charging system circuit is malfunctioning ... eh, nothing. Heck, my Blue Sentra MY1993 will light up a red LED dashboard indicator when something is wrong with its charging system. On the bright side, our bike's meter unit could detect low battery voltage -- usually too late. Bazinga. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Trust me BlueS I am just don't have anyone with an extra battery around right now.. I got my battery on the maintainer/ charger now.. Its a new gel battery from cycle gear so I'm hoping it will hold a full charge of around 13v I'll test it soon as its done an get back to you guys.

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
Make sure when you take it off the charger you let it sit for an hour or so without connecting it to anything BEFORE you check the voltage.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I do like him, and I have respect for him. But when he is wrong he is wrong, and I have no hard time telling him so.
I agree with this, its quotes like:

I love kids. Especially well trained ones !!!!

It's untrained adults that I have a problem with.
that I question. Makes me question what training does he have? What makes him any more trained or certified than any of us here? If he is, then cool, I can respect that and appreciate the inputs, but if he isn't, then at the very least he shouldnt have that condenscending attitude that he knows more or are better than anyone else trying to give advice (this is referring to ER, not you).

Which brings up this point, that I also agree with:
It is interesting that when you are treated like you treat others you cry foul.

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
I like how you are working your way (quickly) to the top of Easy's hate list, take the pressure off of being at number 1 off of me for a bit...lol

You know really the internet sucks for having a conversation, people don't always act like themselves, and you cannot always tell when someone is joking or being sarcastic. That said if you see enough of someones comments it's not hard to form an opinion of them based on their actions.

Heck I almost offended HBK the other day. I had a very sarcastic post that I included him in, and I think he took it as if I was serious.

This is odd, but when I go to Lowes or Home Depot, and I am not 100% sure of what I am getting into I go looking for a white haired old man. They are typically cantankerous and not blessed with amazing social skills, but they have a wealth of knowledge, and over all want to be helpful. This is how I see Easy. A bit rough around the edges, and not always easy to get along with, but really in his heart he wants to be helpful. He just goes about it in an odd way.

Reactions: kojiiro

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I charged the battery for a few hours got it to 13v+ tryed to start it no luck charged it back up to 13.3v let sit over night an now I have a reading of 12.64v.. I'm off today so I'm going to pull my tank an start checking fuses an connection.

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
I charged the battery for a few hours got it to 13v+ tryed to start it no luck charged it back up to 13.3v let sit over night an now I have a reading of 12.64v.. I'm off today so I'm going to pull my tank an start checking fuses an connection.
Did the bike turn over? As in the engine cranks over but won't start?

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
I don't "hate" anybody......well except those who kill others just for sport maybe.

Those who purposely annoy others just for sport come pretty close though.
Out of curiosity what do you mean by those who kill others for sport? Do you mean hunters? Are you talking about War? About politicians?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
To all who helped me thank you very much.. THEMAN expescially you wise words are always accepted here... It ended up being just a out FI fuse a 15 amp on left side of the ignition. Started up an seems to run fine going to take it for a test ride in the next hour.. Let you guys know how it goes...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well back to square one... Went to ride got about a block away an then it kinda jolted forward an died.. Pretty sure the Fi fuse blew about to go check now

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The FI fuse blew like I thought. Which killed the power to the fuel pump.. So I replaced the fuse again an turned the key on fuel pump primed up I tested the voltage everything was par with the manual.. When I tryed to start the bike the fuse blew right away.. I looked over all my connection didn't see no bare wires or corrosion on any connector's or fuse panels

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
Does someone have a pdf version of the wiring diagram for this bike I can look at?

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
My Ninja 1000 Sx service manual (yes I know it is not the same) shows that positive battery power flows through the 15 amp FI fuse and is distributed both to the ECU, and to the relay box. In the relay box it sends power through the ecu main relay when that relay is powered up. Once it goes through that relay it goes back to the ecu.

Now that is not all that helpful really.

the bike starts and runs so thats a great thing. It tells me the ECU is fine, and I am assuming that the meters worked while you were running/riding it this last time before the fuse popped again? If so then the meters work.

The code 39 means the meter unit has not received any information from the ecu for 10 or more seconds. If the bike started and the meters worked you can throw this code out of your mind, it is simply a code that was triggered by the fuse blowing I would guess.

Thats the good news. The bad news is I believe you have a short or a corroded connection. The fuse is popping (thank God) because something is trying to pull to much power through it.

That can be difficult to find. I still think you need to go from connection to connection and look for corrosion, and also look for any signs of wiring harness damage, discoloration, dried water residue...etc

On the the guys on the 3rd gen section had a problem that turned out to be water getting into the wiring harness and corroding a common ground. Something like that can be very hard to find, even for a tech.

Electrical problems are for sure not my strong suit Boss. I wish I could be more help.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts