RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I was thinking about getting under there and adding some dielectric grease to seal things up better at the RR plug. Now I will......

·
Registered
102 Posts
Good info. With 15000 miles and nearly up on my 1 year warranty I'll be checking out those connections also.

·
Registered
152 Posts
When I first got my new bike home I noticed that there were five or six insulated, but not taped, wires leading to the rubber boot at the rectifier. It really set off alarm bells because, if memory serves, the eight inches of wires ran downward toward the boot. So any water would just "walk" downward right into the connector?! So I used 3M electrical tape to seal the exposed wires and some black RTV on the other side of the rubber boot to finish the factories job. This thread has me thinking/paranoid. Might pull it apart soon and check for corrosion and then reseal. Cheap peace of mind maybe....

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I was thinking about getting under there and adding some dielectric grease to seal things up better at the RR plug. Now I will......
Done ! I took a small paint brush and "painted" the RR terminals and the rubber seal with dielectric grease.

This thread has me thinking/paranoid. Might pull it apart soon and check for corrosion and then reseal. Cheap peace of mind maybe....
Yeah, I think this will become part of the yearly maintenance routine now....

·
Registered
262 Posts
Where should I look for this dodgily placed regulator??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello guys, i just got the 39 service code with same symptoms. Followed the t/shooting guide in the kawa manual for ecu comm link and relay box function test. Lastly the manual just said change the ecu haha. Luckily found the white black wire from starter relay to the relay box(ecu main relay) broken at the corroded branch joint! The covered wiring harness found wet! I suspect the water dripping from ecu wiring harness at tail area decline to engine area. Opened all the wiring harness, clean and resecure with electrical insulation tape. Now my z1k back to normal. Maybe could give some guide to u guys! Cheers!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts