RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my J. C. Whitney catalogue about a week ago, and although it's mostly junk, there's a couple things I was thinking about getting.

Has anybody tried the turn signal beeper? I often feel like a goof after riding straight for a few miles and then realizing my signal is still on. The beeper would hide under my fairing really nice. If too loud, I could put tape over the speaker.

And how about stronger headlight, like 100/80 W instead of the stock 80/55 (?) W bulb. I like being seen well in the daytime. They have colored ones like the HID blue ones on some newer cars, which might be cool too. Don't know about the legallity of them though...

Hey, the stuff's cheap, and I'm always looking. At least I'm not interested in the leather thingies that come out of the end of the handlebars. That would be cool.... NOT.

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
JC Whitney (crap or what)?

Hey Kelly, my Dad (may he rest in peace) ordered a variety of items from JCW when he was riding (various Hondas and finally an 850cc Moto Guzzi). He cussed everything he ever ordered and finally would throw the catalogs in the garbage as soon as they came in the mail. Anyway, remembering my old man's bright red face and the flurry of MF's, GD's, pieces of sh!t, and so on, I just never bother with JCW. BTW, I have to mention that dear old Dad was one of the original Special Forces soldiers, the "Green Berets" and did three tours in 'Nam and retired in 1974. Being an airborne soldier and never so much as a sprained ankle jumping out of perfectly good airplanes, it was the Moto Guzzi that gave him a compound fracture of his lower left leg, go figure! Tom :)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i've ordered lots of stuff from whitney for cars and some stuff for bikes with mixed results. it's never as good as it looks in the ad. chrome is often thin, assembly and quality can be shoddy and universal parts often don't fit.

on the other hand many things they sell are name brand and cheaper than from the manufacturer. last i looked they were selling the maier and national cycle screens and fairingsfor less than anyone else on the web. i got a set of universal fit nylon saddle bags for $30 or $40 that were definitely worth what i paid.

in general, don't expect too much and you shouldn't be disappointed. and if you are they have a very good return policy. i've returned many thing that i took completely out of the package, tried to test fit, maybe even scuffed a bit and sent them back with no problem. then you're just out shipping costs.

the stock light on the standard 7 is 55/60 not 80, not sure on the 7s. double check your manual. the beeper would be nice, may get one myself since i've done the same thing many times.

in truth, your local shop can probably get both of these things and at competitive prices when you figure in shipping. if the big shop doesn't have them go to a small local place that doesn't sell new bikes and specializes in repairing old ones. these place can be treasure troves of nifty gadgets and at low prices.

scott :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts