RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all.

This topic might be viewed by some as sacrilige but I got no shame so suck it down.
I wanted to find out what bikes other folks here would want if the zr-7 didn't exist.
I'll start out with my 2 picks and the reasons for them.

KTM Duke II http://www.bikez.com/bike/index.php?bike=4285

This Austrian street samurai is the ultimate for parking lot hooligans everywhere. Imagine the lightweight super-maneuvarability of a dirt bike mated with modern street suspension/tires. The result? A bike that will allow you to do tottally crossed-out wheelies, hop curbs and evade those nasty mall cops with flair. at speeds from 0-50 mph this bike rocks the house. I have seen one of these bad boys on the freeway in San Jose. I wanted to chase down the owner for a chat but forget it.

Honda VFR - 800 http://www.bikepics.com/honda/vfr800/

This bike has just come back into production. Good news for me because I should be able to get a 98 model cheap. I do a lot of touring (250+miles each way) so the full faring on this baby should help out with the wind fatigue. With 40 more hp to the wheel I should be able to get myself into trouble quicker too.

All responses are appreciated,
Blue Raja

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
This was already discussed once a while back. If you want to check out what a lot of us said were our favorite bikes back then, just click HERE.

Of course, I think my tastes have changed a little since then.

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Well, well, well, where do I start my dream list? I think if I had the money, I'd have a bike or two from every catagory of bike out there:

Touring: New Gold Wing. Hop on and go across 5 or so states.

Sport Touring: Ducati ST4s, ZZR-1200

Cruiser: Harley Fat Boy (only Harley I like, well, other than the Super Glide T-Sport), or Triumph Bonneville America (gorgeous)

Litre Bike: Aprilia RSV Mille R or Yamaha R1

750 "Racer": Ducati 748 or Susuki GSXR 750

600 "Racer": Kawasaki ZX-6R, Yamaha YZF-600

Fun Canyon Carver: SV-650S (LOVE this bike)

Commuter (other than the ZR-7): Triumph Sprint RS

Hooligan Bike: Yes, the KTM Duke II. No explanation needed.

Pure Track-Day Only Bike: Aprilia RS250

Of course, I'd be more than Happy with a slew of other bikes. One day, when I hit the lottery, I'll have them all. And of course, I'll have a different Supermodel girlfriend to ride on the back of each one.

Later,

Emrah

·
Registered
374 Posts
I wasn't here for the last discussion - here are my picks.

Cruiser:
Kawasaki Vulcan Mean Streak
Big Dog Harley Pitbull
Harley V-Rod

Sport Touring:
Honda VFR 800 FI - I am DEFINITELY buying this bike!
Honda Aprilia Futura

Sport:
Ducati 996 Monoposto
Aprilia RSV R
Kawasaki ZX-9R - own one

Standard:
Triumph Speed Triple
Honda 919

There is no particular order. I wish I could own them all!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Im thinking that my favorite bikes have to be the ones I would actually consider buying.

My next purchase, probably when I make Lieutenant is a an Aprilia Falco. Im also considering a BMW R1100RS, if I can come up with $14,000. The new Honda CB900 is a consideration if I get more into the pure naked look. A Ninja ZX-9R is the choice if I go all out sportbike.
My ZR-7 has and will continue to be the best choice for my first streetbike. I know I'd have killed myself if I'd have bought anything faster. It may go eventually, but not for a couple of years, and I plan to pick everybody's brains the whole time. By the way, Im in Norfolk now, so if anybody wants to freeze for a couple of hours some afternoon, Ill bundle up and hit it:D

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
when there's a warm sunny day and i'm out with my girlfriend and don't feel like carving turns, sometimes i really miss my yamaha v-star 650 classic. great bike to just putter around all day relaxing on. the zr is as good or better for just about every use except this one.

that honda cb900 looks really killer. i'd also consider a honda pacific coast. 800cc narrow v-twin, integrated luggage, great weather protectio and honda reliability. i hear the front brakes could be better but it's still a great little touring bike. kind of a mini wing :) talked to a guy in a praking lot who had one and he absolutely loved it!

scott

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Well, I've really taken a turn towards the sporting side of motorcycling since my post in the first discussion of this. My top three favorites now:

1972 Kawasaki H-2 Mach IV, click HERE.

2000 Kawasaki ZR-7, click HERE.

2002 Triumph Daytona 955i, click HERE.

Two down, one to go. Coming soon. :smilewink

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
H-D Road King.....If big hairy guys can get the babes on these, I want in on it! www.harley-davidson.com/motorcycles/motorcycles_detail.jsp?FOLDER<>folder_id440145&bmLocale=en_US&bmUID100637636171&product_code=1FRW12-DOM
Honda XR650......GOBS of torque. www.hondamotorcycle.com/models/2002/index.html?model_number=XR650L
Honda XR400......GOBS of torque and light. www.hondamotorcycle.com/models/2002/gallery.html?model_number=XR400R
Honda XL350...... the pioneer of "GOBS" of torque
Honda MR175/250....had my *** handed to me by a few of these
Yamaha IT 175/250...had my *** handed to me by a few of these too!
Yamaha RD400 Daytona...... What can ya say, just hauls ***
Honda Trail90.... hauled my *** all over creation and back (a few deer, quail, and anything else I could strap to the rack). www.fred.net/turtle/ct/ct.html

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Ok, since the last time this came up, my other bikes desired list changed also.

Cruiser: The Harley Davidson XL 883R Sportster, pure and simple and reminescent of the old TV show "Then came Bronson." Anybody remember that one?

SportBike: YZF-R6, "An Adrenal Gland is a terrible thing to waste."

Other Fun Stuff: Husqvarna SM125S, SuperMotard, "2 Stroke excitement."

And a whole lot of other bikes that I just can't think of right now. Tom

:smilewink

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow.

There are a lot of cool bikes out there that I didn't know about. It is great to hear from other Zr-7 riders about their likes and dislikes. I value all of your opinions because I know that all of you have ridden a bike exactly like mine.

I realised that this thread could be MUCH more valuable to all of us if we included a link to a picture of the bikes we are talking about along with a couple of reasons why we like them.

I took the first step and updated my original post to link to pages with pictures of the two bikes I talked about.

If you feel like updating your old posts or adding new ones with links, go for it. I don't think we should post pictures because this thread could end up taking a LONG-A$$ time for some people to load.

Ride on,
Blue Raja

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
I plonked down a bombload of money on a genuine VFR750RR (RC30) back in 1990. I ended up selling the thing when I got married a few years later.

I no longer have the wife, or the bike....gee I miss that bike !!

:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Favorites?
My ZRX1100 and ZX12R, love 'em both.
One day I will own a '69 Mach III 500.
Ducati MH900E, sweet.
Road King.

Hey Scott, If you find a clean PC800 you'll love it. The bags are cavernous, the motor is very smooth and you can barely hear it run. Hydraulic valves, shaft drive and a sealed battery make it virtually maintenance free, but I'd honestly rather "tour" on my Ninja. The last bike I sold was the '89 PC, wish I could've kept it. Putting new tires on it was a real PITA tupperware party.

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/013/dN/Ng/wn/0w11201.jpg

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/012/EB/Cb/Vx/0w67492.jpg

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/037/ya/wx/sr/0w83206.jpg

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
That's a lot of work every 10,000 miles. Don't know if I would wanna do it.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Wow! What are the tire sizes?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Can't remember, some oddball size, stock was all you could get. Believe me, I looked. Some of the catalogs even list it separately, next to O.E. Goldwing tires. I think I got 8000 from the front and 2 rears.

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Sometimes I wish I had a faster bike and would wheelie on demand. So I dream of getting a Suzuki GSX-R1000. Then I go for a ride on my ZR-7S and I think do I really need to go any faster.

Andy

1 - 20 of 31 Posts