RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm considering becoming a distributor for fastbag in Southern California. I'm not trying to drum up business (well, maybe), but I sent out "feelers" on the fastbag and the feedback I'm getting isn't too assuring. I have nothing to lose or gain at this point in time, and I couldn't gain business from most of the people here on this forum anyway because of "territories". But what I would like to hear is some feed back from the people here about the Fastbag.

I do like the product. I think it would be an invaluable asset to the type of riding I do. I commute, so it would hold my daily work stuff. I ride on the week-ends, so it would be good for rain gear, extra gloves, water bottles, a snack, extra socks, etc. I do some long trips too, so it would be good for all the essentials. With the addition of other bags (tank and saddle), it would be a real hot item.

I'm not trying to lead anyone into anything. All I want is honest feedback on your perceptions of the product. I am going to take in all your answers as part of my decision to do this, the other part (a larger part) is going to be based on interests in the Southern California area (which would be wise on my part, since this is where I would be selling them). Be as blunt as you want, sugar coat it if you want. I just want your honest feedback. You can tell it here or you can e-mail it to me.

Thanks!

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
Now isn't that a brilliant idea.

I use a Gearsack seat bag which is ideal, but if I owned a race rep ( the Blade/Busa/GSXR split seats spring to mind) that would look awesome and be practical as well.

It would be nice if it came assembled, but I am sure as long as it is competatively priced you will sell a truckload.

:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Personally, I was seriously thinking about getting one, but instead opted to get a Givi topcase instead. One of the main reasons I went with the Givi case was because I wanted to encourage my lady to ride with me, and I thought she might feel more secure with something to lean her back against. I also wanted to be able to lock things up if I went into the mall or something. Otherwise, I would have very likely gone with the Fastbag. It's really cool.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
scamp, how's the top case working out? i was asking my lady yeseterday if she'd like to take some weekend motorcycle trips this spring and she agreed. i figure the corbin backrest is $200 and the tail rack and top case w/ backrest are under $300 so it makes sense. that and a plexistar 2 would make a nice starter touring setup. if we really dig it i'll get another cas and set them onopposite sides for more room. i'll still get the corbin but just for day trips.

did you get the backrest pad also? what size case did you get? how does she like it? does it make the bike noticeably more top heavy when loaded?

scott

·
Registered
118 Posts
What's the price?

I think it's silly that is doesn't come assembled. Further, I think it's silly that such a novel idea has no provision for protecting the bike's finish. My initial reaction is that it appears to be a well-engineered device with no attention paid to the details.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Scott: The case is working out great! I can't comment on how it works with the lady, because I have yet to coax her onto the bike. The top case was sort of a 'See, you won't fall off the back' measure. (her response was, "Put a door around it, and I'm in") I got the E35 Traffic with the back pad and integrated brake light. It's smallish, but will easily fit a full-face helmet. I haven't really carried anything extra heavy in it; it was more for convenience, so I could easily carry extra stuff and still have room for some small items if I went shopping or something like that. Even if I completely filled it up, I'm not sure that an extra 15lbs would really make a huge difference, seeing as the bike's already 215lbs top heavy with me on it. ;)

All together, with the case, top rack mount, and tubular side mounts (for when I want to get the extra side bags), it ran me around $400, I think. The mountings cost $200, and then it's whatever you want to pay for cases. I would suggest getting the full mount kit, because you can't upgrade from just the top mount. You'd have to toss it, and then buy the full kit anyways.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
thanks for the advice, especially on not getting just the top rack. i didn't know you couldn't upgrade.

when i wrote to riderhaus they said the side racks could not be mounted without the tail rack since they share a common mounting point. this disappointed me since i think the tail rack is ugly and i'd rather just have the side racks. it also avoids the posssible top heavy problem. since you have all the hardware and have had a look at it, how hard do you think it would be to fashion an adaptor to use only the side racks? i know i'd still have to relocate the turn signals but that could be a fun project. i'd like to try integrating then into the bags if possible :)

scott

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'd suggest calling 877-679-GIVI if you're thinking of ordering Givi products; get all the info right from the horse's mouth, you know?

And I'm not really sure why the fellow told you that you couldn't mount the side racks without the top rack. The ZR-7 needs the tubular side rack holders (as opposed to the Givi standard wingracks). With those mounts, there's a crossbar that screws into the rear holes of the grab rails. The side brackets attach at either end of that crossbar, and at the footpeg brackets. If you go with a top mount, then you slide the attachment points in between the side bracket and that crossbar, and another set goes directly to the side brackets themselves. The side brackets can easily screw directly into the crossbar without the top rack there; the top rack just acts as a large-ish washer between the two. I don't see why you couldn't just go without it, or if you really wanted you buy some washers of a similar thickness, and use those in place of it. It is possible, however, that the other attachments add some rigidity to the side brackets, but doubt it.

Go to the GIVI website and take a peek at it. Go to the Products section, then click on 'Hardware'. The tube racks are at the bottom of the resulting popup window. (Note: The bike shown doesn't have the full crossbar that we do. For our bikes, there is a bar that goes all the way across the top of the bike, at the back of the grab rails.)

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Here is a photoshop modified image of how the Fastbag would look like on the ZR-7S.

I must say it looks a heck of a lot better on the ZR-7S than it does on the race replicas they show on Fastbag's web site.

I wonder if I fill it full of lead it would help me wheelie? :)

Andy

·
Registered
118 Posts
Martin64 said:
MSRP is $289, but the U.S. distributor is offering a 20% discount to ZR7OA members. Shipping is included in the price.
Not to bad. The 20% discount puts it at about $230, including shipping. Considering it expands to 60 litres, that's a good dollar-to-litre ratio. Especially when you consider it provides all that room without affecting the bike's aerodynamics or stability (in fact, if you believe the web site, it improves it).

Further, if you need even more space, there's room for traditional saddle and tank bags. Doesn't look bad, either.

Jarel, when do we get a test report?? And pictures??

·
The Commander
5,020 Posts
Ok, the verdict is in!! I picked up the FastBag today and mounted it on my bike. I've posted pics on my page at www.ZR-7.com. It was kind of a pain to put together, but once I got it together I was pretty happy with it. Quality is good, and I think it looks really good on the bike (I got the Carbon Fiber one). Granted, it's still a gaudy pice of luggage, but it's a good looking piece of guady luggage! :D Capacity is really high if you expand the bag out. The only downside is that the contents will be compressed when you strap the bag down. That's fine for clothing on a trip, but won't work for groceries. I'm going to try to rig up some sort of brace on the inside to allow the inside compartment to be expanded without being compressed. The under-lid area also has a smaller area that doesn't get compressed where you can store breakables.

I saw the less-than-glowing review in CycleWorld this month, and I don't agree with most of it. I think the product is a lot more functional than they represented. I think they're just pissed because it ruins the lines of their precious sportbike. :~

So overall, I like it and would recommend it. It's a little pricey compared to soft luggage, but I think for someone looking for more stability and security, it's the ticket.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jarel, I noticed the over lap of the bag on the rear cowl. Did you pad it or is it a problem? The only real problem with it I could see is if something (dirt, road grime, etc.) got between the 2. But I have some clear "stick-on" that would cure that.

I know you haven't had it that long, but what are you thoughts on it thus far?

Thanks! :cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts