RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new user here. I have a 2001 ZR7-S and I am looking for the best exhaust upgrade for the money, and performance.. Does it really help, what do you recomend, and do I need to rejet the carbs also. Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Rob B

·
Registered
374 Posts
I put a Jardine RT-One Polished Aluminum on my '01 at about 750 miles.

It cost about 275.00 and I installed myself in about 20 minutes (the ZR is VERY easy to perform simple maintenace on). It matched the '01 perfectly with the polished finish and the big black/red oval.

Noticed a small improvement in get up and go, the big dividend was in the sound. Its a big improvement over stock. Get up and go improved a little more when I added the K&N filter and re-jetted (I had a mechanic do that one though).

One thing you will notice is backfiring when coming off the throttle. Its something you either love or hate, but grow used to. It can be treated, but means messing with the emissions controls, something I won't advise. :angel:

·
The Commander
5,021 Posts
Hi Rob, welcome to the board! :) The combined membership here has just about every slip-on made for the ZR-7, and no one really has any complaints about any of them. So I guess that means that you really can't go wrong. Many of us have our favorites (usually the one on our bike ;) ), but you really can't go wrong with any of them. If you go with a straight-through race pipe (illegal most places, but we do it anyway...) it'll be MUCH louder than stock, some louder than others. The Muzzy and Yoshi are notoriously loud (which is why I like the Muzzy :mad: ), the Micron's pretty loud too, Holeshot and 2 Brothers (or... 3 Brothers...:rolleyes: ) a little less so. Kerker is about the cheapest one. Akropovic (sp?) is about the most expensive. One low-priced source on the net is www.parts411.com, and they carry most brands. I have the Muzzy Titanium, and I love it. Pics of my bike are at http://www.zr-7.com/jarelbike.htm .

As far as rejetting, none of the pipes "require" rejetting, but you won't get the max performance gain without it. I've got a guide posted on the maintenance page on zr-7.com that walks you through the process. It's really not hard, just tedious (but fun!). With a race pipe, you'll gain a little top end with just the pipe, but combined with a K&N filter and jet kit, you'll get more power throughout the rev range, and better throttle response. You can expect 5-10 hp gain with the full setup, which is around 10%, so it's definitely noticeable. Holeshot has a jet kit, and Factory just released one. Or you can make your own buy getting larger main jets, a handful of 1mm washers from the hardware store and a K&N filter. Lots of options.

Confused yet??:laugh:

·
The Commander
5,021 Posts
KawMan said:

One thing you will notice is backfiring when coming off the throttle. Its something you either love or hate, but grow used to. It can be treated, but means messing with the emissions controls, something I won't advise. :angel:
If you're a tree-hugger, please do not read any further......

Ok, I will advise in favor of it!! :~ http://www.zr-7.com/egr.htm It will completely eliminate the backfiring on deceleration. You can leave the assembly in tact so you can put it back on when you take the bike in or sell it. You can also get the result by just plugging the hose from the airbox, which is not even detectible without taking it apart.

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Hey Rob ! It's me, the 3 Brothers guy, thanks Jarel for remembering, I'll always be loved:)

Seriously, Rob, The TWO Brothers pipe was a great choice for me, and would be for you too. Let me tell you why.

Their pipe is the quietest "open" pipe available. There is a definite lack of shrillness to the sound. It has what is called a mellow note. It's low in frequency, deep, throaty, growl. It's not a shrieking wail. At least at low to mid rpm's. It will scream up towards redline. Any open pipe screams at redline.

It is definitely louder than stock pipe. Here again, any open pipe is louder. You may not want your pipe screaming all the time. You may want the visceral sound the Two Brother's pipe lends the ZR. Trust me, it sounds great, mean and low down.

Also, expext to "un-cork" your exhaust immediatly upon installation. It will free up your usable torque, and spread out your power range. The jet kit, I used Holeshot's, will really unleash horses and torque hidding in there. You feel the difference with a greater, quicker rush of power. You will have a slightly higher top end, if thats your gig.

You can expect horrendous deceleration backfire, like they said. I took off the EGR. ahhh, smooooth.....:smilewink

Yes, the pipe you installed is the one you recomend. And this is mine. But, I think it's sound and look fit the bike's personality to a tee.

Tony

PS, I bought mine from a guy named Craig from 2-Bro's at the NY Motorcycle show last year. They were there, along with all their demo stuff. He explaind basically what I explained here. He compared their's to others. I choose their's from what he said. I got a 20% discount, and am very happy with their product.
Two thumbs, and big toes, up !

·
Registered
374 Posts
Enough with the sales pitches already! :)

Let the guy make up his own mind. That's half the fun of it.

BTW If you're going to go Kaw, there is really only one choice Muzzy. I bought the Jardine because I was a novice (and cheap). If I ahd to do it over, I'd run a Muzzy.

·
THE JUDGE
711 Posts
I have the D&D as well as Cooter, SamNavy, and many many many (okay I exaggerated a bit) others. It's awesome! Pick me, pick me!! Jarel is right....everyone thinks their own pipe is the best....and yes, I think the D&D is awesome, but I love the look that Micron has to offer.

You probably can't go wrong with just about any of them....but of course, the D&D is the best! ;) I got it in 2 days, it cost less than $300.00 and I installed it in about 10 minutes.

Have fun in the hunt!!

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
Hey dude get a Yoshi Zyclone, it's one of the quietest cans out there untill you crack the throttle at about 4000 and then you get this awesome race bike sound but not as loud as other pipes ... just sweeter. And it was 230.00 at parts411.com. But don't forget to get a K&N air filter.......jet kit ........corbin seat (must need)

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Exhaust swaping

Can't we all just get along ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to say thanks for all the info. I was told that this was an exellent site, and they were right. I plan on getting the exhaust next spring (after warranty wears off) plus the jet kit and k&n. I am also planning (much sooner) getting the corbin seat. Everyone has said that is the way to go for this bike.

Again, thanks for all the help

Rob B:smilewink

1 - 11 of 11 Posts