RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading some old postings on the old ZR-7 Yahoo BB and noticed some postings on reducing vibration at about 5,000 RPM. Several items talked about making sure the muffler bracket hole was aligned properly with the mounting hole on the frame. And that the exhaust pipe may need a little bending to make sure the holes line up so there is no stress on the mounting bracket and bolt. I don’t remember seeing anything about this on www.zr-7.com before and was wondering if anybody has done this? It is winder now in Michigan and I am doing some maintenance now and was thinking about doing this.

I will pass along one item I am going to try. I just went to Florida and I rented a Buell for two days last month and toured around North Florida. Boy that warm weather was really nice! Anyway, I really like the feel of the Buell X1 handlebars and I have bought a set. They are just a little wider and not bent in at the ends as much. My shoulders get a little sore after a couple of hours the ZR7s so I figured I would give them a try, they only cost $42. (Buell Report: I don't think I would ever buy a X1. It is a neat bike – sounds really cool - very smooth on the highway. But you could shake paint cans with the vibration of the front wheel at idle. And it is miserable to ride is slow traffic.)

I also am going to put in a good inline fuel filter on my ZR7 just to make sure I don’t have any junk get into the carbs. I have an old 1972 GT750 and got some junk in one jet and it look a lot of work figuring out the exact problem, so I put inline fuel filters on the Water Buffalo to hopefully avoid the problem again.
:)

·
The Commander
5,020 Posts
Paul, I doubt if the 4800-5200 rpm vibration that most new ZR-7's have is related to the muffler mounting bracket. All indications that I've seen are pointing to it being a resonance issue with the stock can. I replaced mine with a Muzzy and the vibes went away. Just to test it, I put the stock can back on, and the vibes returned. Then back to the Muzzy and the vibes were gone. Other people who have put on a slip-on have reported the same results. Some people have reported success at reducing the vibes by punching some holes in the baffles inside the stock can. The vibes also subside for most people after the first couple thousand miles.

Be careful with the fuel filter. Since the ZR-7 has no fuel pump, any type of restriction can slow down the gravity feed. A couple of people have had problems with filters they put inline and ended up removing them. There is already a filtering screen in the petcock, although it's not going to filter as fine of particles as an inline filter would.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
hey paul :) thanks for the short report on the x-1.

while bracket alignment hasn't been a problem for me. i did have the bolts that mount the passenger peg/muffler carrier bracket to the frame come loose. i tightened them up and have had no trouble since. others have had the bolt that holds the muffler to the bracket come loose. check both of these things occasionally.

i wanted bars like you're describing, similar to the originals but with a little less pullback. O'Neal makes some that are like this too, and very inexpensive.

http://www.oneal.com/cart/product-o.asp?ProductCode=3030

the picture here is not accurate, they don't actually have a cross bar and pad. they look just like out bars. the 'daytona' bars are just slightly wider with less pullback. their 'superbike' bars similar but lower. i've seen these available at lots of small, independent motorcycle shops for around $20.

i was planning on purchasing these so that i could mount bar end mirrors but right now i can't. i've injured my back so i'm looking to sit up straighter by using bar risers. if those work out i may get some of these bars but first things first :)

scott :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. on the muffler causing the vibration. I really was not sure about muffler alignment, but figured I would ask. And I think will hold off from putting on the inline fuel filter too, if it has caused others problems! Thanks again for answering....:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
The vibes at 5000 rpm on my ZR-7 really decreased when I did a modification recommended by a guy called "kirbill" on another forum. Here's what to do if you're interested:

1. remove the muffler
2. look in the end where the exhaust pipe fits and you'll see a perforated plate running right across the diameter of the muffler
3. drill a 2" hole in this using a hole saw if you have one (I didn't, so I just used an ordinary drill until I'd removed enough material then used a vacuum cleaner and a lot of shaking to remove the debris!)
4. reassemble and notice reduced vibes and a slightly deeper exhaust note

I was assured there was still plenty of back pressure left in the standard pipe after this mod and there was no need to rejet. It has proved to be so, thank goodness!

Malc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts