RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the EGR valve over the weekend, and I'm very happy with the results. I have the holeshot jet kit and slip-on, so I had considerable back fire when I rolled off the throttle. Now it is almost completely gone, and the bike seems to breath easier, and run smoother. I don't know maybe its just me, but thanks for the info guys:)

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Is it better for the engine without the backfiring ? Mine was so bad sometimes, it sounded like it was going to blow the header off the front of the bike. I still get it a little, even after the removal, but I think it's just due to a small air leak into that system. Next time I'm in there, I'll re-seal it up.

Tony

·
Registered
5 Posts
The removal of the EGR as stated before should help to eliminate backfires on modified exhaust. However, The blowby gas in the crankcase needs to be vented. Otherwise you have a buildup of pressure inside the crankcase. In the old days, if I remember correctly the 4 wheeled vehicles just vented the fumes into the air. My two cents.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would just remove the entire unit. I followed Jarel's version listed under maintenance tips. I've had no problems to speak of, only less backfiring and what seems to me to be smoother running (probably in my head.) :D As far as built up pressure, it seems to run less constrictive with no EGR and a performance slip-on. The engine revs down quicker without the EGR, so I really think less pressure is actually building up in the crank case. I'm no mechanic, but I think it runs better without the EGR combined with a slip-on with proper jetting. Take it off and try it, if you don't like it, put it back on. It's a pretty simple procedure. I know that probably didn't answer your question, but thats been my experience so far. Good--luck..................

·
Registered
706 Posts
Fumes..?

I guess all those fumes get vented in the exhaust...? Anyway I removed the whole assembly and just plug the air box, vacum intake in the carb and rubber plugs in the valve cover...See attached picture. So far no problems.....

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
I am going to start digging the ZR out of storrage this weekend (wife permitting) I will plan to to the EGR removal and a Carb Sync right off the bat. It hasn't caused anyone else problems yet and I have the Micron slip on, Hole Shot jet kit, K&N filter, and the modified air box too. No worries!

Chris

·
Silver Member
479 Posts
Hi, Iowa Boy
For crankcase ventilation there is small hose goes to the airbox from the upper side of gearbox. I don't know how to properly call this place, but if you'll take a look under the carbs you'll see this hose. EGR stuff isn't connected to crankcase. EGR channels go directly to exhaust manifolds without any openings to the space under the head cover.

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
That sounds about right. No need to worry. Plug it and forget it.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
It's a done deal, the EGR is off. I used Jarel's version with the wirenut in the hose to plug the hole in the airbox. i also took the black heat shield material off the origional hose that went to the air box and put it over the hose that now connects the 2 parts of manafold. Looks pretty trick too. Not that anyone will ever see it once the tank is on, but I know it's there :D

Chris

N

·
0 Posts
Chris Mundell said:
Here's a thought, what if you just disconnect the vaccum line and leave the rest? Wouldn't it have the same effect?
Actually, the EGR valve is "normally open" which means that without the vacuum line, it would be open all the time. This is exactly what you don't want!

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Jarel-
Garage only operation yesterday. Today I am going to construct an aux gas tank, then sync the carbs. It was 31 yesterday but should get into the mid 40's today. It will be ridden!!!!!!

Nemesis-
Well that's no good then. It can stay open as long as it wants now because it's hanging on the wall over my tool box :smilewink GOOD info to know though, THANX!!!

Chris

·
The Commander
5,021 Posts
Chris, don't go to a huge amount of trouble to work up an auxiliary gas tank. The tip that Brian Wottowa has posted on the Carb Synch guide on ZR-7.com for just using the normal fuel tank sat across the top of the frame works very well and doesn't require anything more than a towel to set the tank on. Of course a true remote fuel tank would be "better" but if you just want to synch the carbs and be done with it, Brian's way works fine.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
I started setting it up that way but I have a FULL tank. Not to mention it was getting cold, dark, and hard to see. I have an old tri-pod and I am going to invest about $5 for everything else I need.

Plus it is a wopping 26 degrees outside right now so it will give me somthing to do while it warms up. DAMN IT!!!! it was 60+ on friday :yell: now it doesn't look like it will be warm all this week. I HATE NY!!!!!

Chris

1 - 20 of 22 Posts