RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Got a good deal on some zx14 calipers. These are supposed to be the bees knees of non-monobloc calipers according to the guys who post on the zx6 forums. They def look nicer than the tokicos..

Cut some metal

Grindereded/shaped said metal

Used my ****ty MDF subby mock-up as a simple jig

Didnt weld it in yet because I still have to brace and fill the hole where the old shock used to reside as the right side upper tube will sit where the cavity is now.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Other stuff I did...

Had this old treadmill in a closet, never gonna use it.

I just closed on a deal to pick up a nice 2x72 grinder kit with most of the pieces already machined. This motor should work to power it methinks.

Motor

Variable speed control

What I needed

What I gotta get rid of...

Got a batch of ball bearings in so I quick whipped the little bike together and sat the plastics on it for a quick pic.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Need more steel to close the hole where the shock used to mount. then I can weld the subframe into place and fab up the seat mounts and carriers for the 'electrics. then I'll mount the new rear suspension into place.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Just started following- great work here. I'm following your subframe work since I'll be doing something similar to my race bike here soon. Keep it up!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Awesome- this is the basic idea I've been modeling off of when planning my work: Fab Fab Fab...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I feel like I'm playing a game of "Spot the Difference"... and failing. I don't remember that hammer being there before, does that count!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Not much to report... made the spacer to fill the old shock mount gap.

Fits here like this.

Made a plate to cover the hole but I couldnt get my welder to run a decent bead so I will not share those pics... I will grind the evidence away and pretend it never happened...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Epoxy is the way to go for CF, definitely. What are you making? There's a ton that goes into that stuff, from the materials to the tools. I'm redoing all my bodywork and tank with carbon (+Aramid for the tank) soon, but using vacuum infusion instead. I'm curious to see what you're up to.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Epoxy is the way to go for CF, definitely. What are you making? There's a ton that goes into that stuff, from the materials to the tools. I'm redoing all my bodywork and tank with carbon (+Aramid for the tank) soon, but using vacuum infusion instead. I'm curious to see what you're up to.
This stuff is just to play with. Next batch will be to skin the tank, tail, underbelly and fender/hugger. I have a deep vac pump already (for A/C work) and Ive been eyeing some more stuff to get into vac infusion and vac bagging. I like the idea of building a tank, but damn thats a LOT of molding and fitting and layering... If you check out customfighters theres a full build from a member Knifemaker87 who did a full carbon/kevlar body from scrath on a virago (AWESOME build). If I remember correctly, he was a composite fabricator for NASA so its really good info.

Linky here: Knifemaker's 82 Virago 920 cafe racer - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Awesome, can't wait to see the finished skinned results man! I love that CF look. :)

If you're just skinning, vacuum infusion is not a must. Here's a great video on the process, if you have time:

Redoing all my bodywork will be a ton of work, I fully expect it to take the entirety of next spring/summer/fall (Even with work put in this winter), especially since the goal is to make it not look like garbage, like it does today. Thanks for the link to the tank build, I'll give it a read tomorrow- another similar post I read through was a carbon tank being made for a SV650 race bike: SV Carbon Tank project for Zoran

Cheers, keep it up.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Just skinning till I learn the basics. I have mad-scientist ideas for later with all kinds of stuff. My garage at home is slowly evolving into a multi-use work space. Im building multiple small workstations each dedicated to a single tool or process. I have drill presses, grinders, welder and torches, sandblaster, and a re-loading station set up now (in addition to the usual garage work space stuff) and I'm building a new table for the new band saw and planning/acquiring for the powder coating setup (I have an old fridge and oven that will be re purposed as bake oven), the station for the composite stuff is up next after that. If only I could get my hands on a small mill/lathe I'd really be set!!

41 - 60 of 80 Posts