RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Not much to report. Its been nice out and Im lazy...

But I got a good deal on some rear end hardware that I needed.

Rear brake caliper mount, caliper and spacers for the rear wheel. Caliper came complete with a stainless line and a fluid pressure switch for the brake light (SCORE for only $45!!).

Slapped it on the swinger and it kinda looks like this

More after this weekend if I can get to the steel supply for the materials for a full subframe build.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks nice, keep up with the updates.

Personally I am doing a Streetfighter conversion after my 13' 650 crashed, suggestion, try looking into Kensmoto Design.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/49/4c/23/494c23c0de8c71bc81c43dc3028f7757.jpg

Its a 90's subaru fog headlight with duel bulb mounted inside and 4 aux led with custom frame enclosure.

Their asking price of 1k for the assembly is kinda scary.

Personally i went with the Kawasaki Z800 Eur model's headlight. Direct bolt on the OEM 650 fork with spacers and duel headlight. Looks mean and down low like z1000.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Looks nice, keep up with the updates.

Personally I am doing a Streetfighter conversion after my 13' 650 crashed, suggestion, try looking into Kensmoto Design.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/49/4c/23/494c23c0de8c71bc81c43dc3028f7757.jpg

Its a 90's subaru fog headlight with duel bulb mounted inside and 4 aux led with custom frame enclosure.

Their asking price of 1k for the assembly is kinda scary.

Personally i went with the Kawasaki Z800 Eur model's headlight. Direct bolt on the OEM 650 fork with spacers and duel headlight. Looks mean and down low like z1000.

Awesome looking light but $1000!?!?! I have a few options right now.

I have a buell xb9r firebolt headlight fairing (my fave so far) mine is blue but itll get carbon fiber before its done

a 2010 z1000 headlight (looks good but needs some repairs, last owner sawed the lens off to do an hid kit... also very much a used SF part)

(no pics of the z1000 headlight but you all know what those look like anyway)

A gsxr headlight and fairing Im chopping up

heres one from europe somewhere that I like

Another ebay item that looks good in pics

and I have some projectors and materials to make my own if need be.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Look forward to seeing what direction you go with the divorced subframe. Giving it consideration on my own build.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Not much to show but I spent three hours last night with a mill ******* massaging the lower yoke. still rough but the original steering stops are completely gone and the front mounting boss is flush to the rest of the yoke (still need to fill the hole). Casting rim gone all around. Now to clean up all the very rough marks and smooth it all out....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Got home Saturday and headed into the garage for some work time. 80 grit to start, 150 to smooth it out and 220 to finish it (not going for a mirror polish, will be powdercoated)

Then I got this big heavy ******* of a drill press working again. got it for free, just needed the chuck reinstalled correctly. for size reference, its next to my harbor freight drill press on a 38x50 table.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Sunday I woke up early (10:00) and went outside to slap the front end back on the frame and while I was at it I put it all up ion the work bench for some measurements. Got it on the bench and decided to review some of my rearsets.

busa sets

Older gsxr rearsets

The one side of the Yana Shikis that I have... bought cheap on ebay, found out that the "set" was actually two shifter control sets... too bad, these are really nice.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
And while I was doing that stuff my buddy and his wife tore their harleys apart. her softail will be getting the chrome stripped, a springer seat and new bars. His Electra blew its starter so open primary and removed the exhaust and foot controls.

AND, I also did a little painting for a cheapo 100cc pit bike for the guy down the streets little girl (and mine too since theyre besties). Green and pink for the girls bike.

Chassis on the little bike back together as soon as the headstock bearings come in (actually loose ball bearings...)

Been a long weekend in the garage with friends and beers. More soon I hope but I have a vacation up north this week so well see.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
So, a super cool builder guy sent me an offer I couldn't refuse. Some parts were mailed and some other parts were bought to make it work together.

Bought this

To go with this. stock 636 upper yoke and my new yoke (in progress here)

BFT!!! (BFT/Yantosh is a custom builder from Scotland, awesome guy and an amazing builder)

And finished, just waiting on new SS hardware!!

Also, got home from vacation early enough to go get some steel!!

Should be some work on the subframe this weekend!

21 - 40 of 80 Posts