RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an observation I've been meaning to make from the MSF classroom instruction.

They show quite a few videos in the class. It's easy to tell that most of the videos are 15-20 years old. However, with the recent retro-bike craze, it's amazing how almost all of the motorcycles in those videos look new! I mean, it's as if you could go into a dealer today and buy one off the showroom floor.

I realize that even though the bikes look the same, the ones today are more reliable, efficient, stronger, better handling, etc., but I was struck by this nonetheless.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'll think of that when I go to the MSF class this Friday. :eek:
My wife actually likes the older style bikes and we saw
a bunch of brand new ones in the showroom when I bought
my ZR-7s last week. :D

She actually preferred I get one of those :? but I'm glad I
got the ZR-7s :~

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
whenever i wander into the shop with my girlfriend i kind of like to get her opinion on what bikes she likes, hoping she'll get a ninja 250 and ride with me instead of pillion. she likes cruisers more than crotch rockets but the one she really dug was the kawasaki w650, a remake of the old bonneville. guess they're called classics for a reason.

scott :)

·
Registered
965 Posts
Actually the W650 is not a remake of the Bonneville but of an older Kawasaki , the W1 of the 1965 with the Meguro designed twin cylinder engine..
The Bonneville has it's own remake Bonneville :)
Here's a picture for the history...

Aris

·
Registered
965 Posts
Well, for some reason there is no functionality to attach a picture in the post by editing it, if you didn't attach it in the first place...
Anyway, here it is:

Aris

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
thanks for the history lesson aris :) jeez what a prety bike!

i heard one magazine (probably cycles world) say that triumph's attempt was a nice bike but that the w650 is closer in looks and character to the original bonneville.

scott

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Oddly enough, that bike doesn't look all that old. The integrated speedo/ headlight shows it's age, but everything else really doesn't seem to look outa place. Maybe it's just me......hmmm....

·
Registered
965 Posts
ZR7 is a remake!

And since we re talking about remakes, here is the real ancestor of the ZR7.
Look at the picture closely and find the resemblences and differences.
This is the first bike with the KZ750 engine.

Aris the historian :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts