RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a problem with my Kawasaki z 800, the bike sometimes shuts down with the code 51 52 53 54 and sometimes it cuts out when I'm riding; I had the problem for two months; I went to see a mechanic but without result the problem does not stop, now I cannot travel or anything I stay in the entourage in town.
once I had the problem, I left the bike with the problem for 5 days after I just pressed the ecu cables and it worked I cleaned the cables, and I checked them all, but the problem persists.
I can't even sell my motorcycle because of the problem.
a little help would be appreciated
thank you very much

·
Registered
930 Posts
Welcome to Rider Forums!

Let me ask what you know about the four codes and how each could relate to recent maintenance. Looks like the fuel tank has been removed and possibly the spark plugs. Tell us what you know about your bike's history.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you,
it's been 1 year since i bought a used Kawasaki z800r 2016, in 8 months I had no problem at all.
one day, i was travelling to a nearby city then the Motocycle cuts off for the first time with check engine i didn't have time to check the code because it was a quick cut off I went to see a friend after I came back to turn on the motorcycle boom check engine with code 51 52 53 54, the motorcycle does not want to turn on I started to pedal with my feet to return the motorcycle to home and suddenly I clicked on start and boom the motorcycle running, the motorcycle is fine, but after when I get home the motorcycle does not want to turn on, I called friends for help I went to a workshop of a friend we how to test we detach the motorcycle and we noticed that the spark plug does not give spark with the metal after we accidentally touch cables in the ecu and here is the motorcycle is running again, after 2 months no problem, it comes back again but it's a bit worse the bike starts to cut while driving sometimes with always the same error and the sub throttle takes too long to take place with noises, for the sub throttle when I bought the motorbike it goes down after it takes it place now it goes back and forth too much to take place I had the error code 62 3 times, and the last problem is the motorcycle sometimes lights up revs up on start up.
now i have 3 problems the first code 51 52 53 54 and after 2 months sub throttle problem, and finally the rev starts up.
i think this bag of problems is caused by the ecu that should be replaced? or i don't know this is my first bike experience.
I had to use translator for this reply.
Thank you.

·
見る
2,997 Posts
Hi. Welcome onboard.

The 51 52 53 54 codes relate to a fault with your cylinder stick coils. For example, 51is cylinder 1 stick coil, 52 is cylinder 2 stick coil, and so on. Since all your stick coils are throwing errors, it's unlikely that they are all faulty. I would be checking that the wiring harness from the stick coils, and making sure that there is no damage to the wiring and that all wire/plug connections to the ECU are firmly connected, and that there are no loose or corroded connections.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you and hi, All the stick coil faulty at the same time ? Isn't this a little bit weird? Like i said in the reply before what made me think its the wiring is when a let the motocycle with the problem for 5 days when i comes back and touched the ecu cables related to the stick coil the motocycle start running again. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Dedegold, ozninjaguy was telling it is not likely that all four stick coils are bad. My former C14 had a mini harness for the stick coils that connected the coils to the main harness with one connector. If the Z800 has a similar harness, that would explain the four coil error codes. Hopefully it is a simple fix.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,
The z800 have all the stick coils connectors linked directly to the main cables stream ,
there is no other connector connecting all the stick coil. And the main cables stream have a hard material covering it.
Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hi
Today i picked my bike from the workshop and after like 1h of driving my bike won't start with just error 51 54 after 10 min of pressing the ecu cables and shaking it the bike start with code 62, i drove home with the 62 error (the bike blocked on 5.5 rpm) and then when i arrive, the bike goes off again now my bike is in the garage. I don't know what to do really.
In our city we don't have good mechanics.
i suspect that the ecu is the problem because before all of this i start to have problems 1 after the other like the stick coils error 51 52 53 54 first time, after time i get the 62 with noises when i turn the keys to run the bike.
Thank you.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Oh wow. Not what I expected to hear. What did the shop do with your bike? Any new parts?

Sounds like there's a bad connection, a nicked wire, or bad grounding point. Those are things I would be checking nose to tail. Disconnect connectors and inspect each one. Look for corrosion and contacts being push/pulled out of position.

·
Registered
930 Posts
That shop is telling the fuel pump could be the problem? Or, bad fuel? Yet, it sounds like there is no explanation for the codes you are getting.

Is your Z800 keep in a garage or outside since 2016? Wondering about a corrosion of metals possibility. If that exists, it's possible electrical connections are also corroded. Are you located near salt water?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I have a problem with my Kawasaki z 800, the bike sometimes shuts down with the code 51 52 53 54 and sometimes it cuts out when I'm riding; I had the problem for two months; I went to see a mechanic but without result the problem does not stop, now I cannot travel or anything I stay in the entourage in town.
once I had the problem, I left the bike with the problem for 5 days after I just pressed the ecu cables and it worked I cleaned the cables, and I checked them all, but the problem persists.
I can't even sell my motorcycle because of the problem.
a little help would be appreciated
thank you very much
Hello, I had similar problem with my 2016 Ninja 1000 ABS, I tracked it down to a worn side stand it was wobbling on the mounting bracket and sending a stand down message back to the ECU and shutting down the engine very frustrating would be riding along hit a little bump and bike would just cut out, I replaced the side stand bolt added a washer on each side of the stand as shims to take out excess freeplay and never had another problem, you never know check your side stand for excess play etc good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That shop is telling the fuel pump could be the problem? Or, bad fuel? Yet, it sounds like there is no explanation for the codes you are getting.

Is your Z800 keep in a garage or outside since 2016? Wondering about a corrosion of metals possibility. If that exists, it's possible electrical connections are also corroded. Are you located near salt water?
The motocycle stay in the garage and i live about 10 km from the sea. I searched in kawasaki z800 error code i didn't find any code about fuel pump i think i will replace the fuel tank with a friend and see if the problem is solved. Now the motocycle is running perfectly i had one shut down for about 5 seconds on the way to this workshop (70 km from home) when i arrived we started shaking the ecu cables but the motocycle still running perfectly fine the problem really confusing me .
Hello, I had similar problem with my 2016 Ninja 1000 ABS, I tracked it down to a worn side stand it was wobbling on the mounting bracket and sending a stand down message back to the ECU and shutting down the engine very frustrating would be riding along hit a little bump and bike would just cut out, I replaced the side stand bolt added a washer on each side of the stand as shims to take out excess freeplay and never had another problem, you never know check your side stand for excess play etc good luck
Hi ,
Your bike gives the same error codes when shutting down?
For my case my bike don't shutdown when running to bumps ,the problem always came when going on simple road .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi again
After 2 days of driving the bike everything is fine now the problem is back again i wanted to know if the fuel pump can affect the spark plug ?
Now the bike is giving me a weird smell and started to cut while accelerating.
Any ideas about the problem ?
And thanks.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Still believe there is an intermittent electrical connection. Had suspected a corroded connection somewhere, but that could be a constant problem. Someone really needs to inspect all the wiring and connectors relating to the fuel and ignition systems. Look for pinched/cut wires, improperly connected connectors, and at each connector verify each contact is properly seated in the connector. It doesn't take much for a contact to be pulled back from its seat position even though there is a lock--it's all plastic.

Remove the seat, side covers, and fuel tank for this inspection.

Did you buy this Z800 new? What has been removed/reinstalled?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts