RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just picked up a 2011 Ninja about a month ago and started getting it looking the way I want. I hadn't really seen much discussion on the Ermax undertail, but decided to pick one up anyway. I've got a pic or two here of the final result for you. Eventually, if anyone is interested enough in it, I could probably manage to dig through my install pics and throw together a step-by-step installation guide. The piece of paper that came along with it was trash as far as instructions go.

Anyway, the important part ... Pics!

Also:
Zero Gravity - Double Bubble Windscreen
Progrip 5005 Tank Protector
Ermax - Seat Cowl
LED Tail Light (with a nice chip out of the corner of it)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Nice and clean. I see you are using the integrated rear light, how did you set it up? Will both the integrated signal and Ermax signal light up when you turn on your indicator, or only either one of them will light up?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I started out with it wired to just the Ermax signals, but recently wired in the turns on the integrated as well for a bit more light. There's a few spots where I have to sit in traffic to make a left turn on my daily route, so I try to be as visible as possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi My name is Kazmik7,I have 2011 like yours would like the install pics and throw together a step-by-step installation guide if you don't mine. Thank you

·
Registered
81 Posts
what is the distance between the turn signals? I like the look of it but I don't want to be hassled if it's not legal.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I also have the Ermax undertail and I love it.
The only problem was that I purchased mine from ninja650shop.com and after only a few months of use two of the license plate white LEDs (there are 5 total) stopped working.
I’ve contacted ninja650shop.com and I also contacted Ninja650Shop_Bret here but I never even got a response as to replacement of this LED.

:dunno:

·
Registered
507 Posts
I also have the Ermax undertail and I love it.
The only problem was that I purchased mine from ninja650shop.com and after only a few months of use two of the license plate white LEDs (there are 5 total) stopped working.
I’ve contacted ninja650shop.com and I also contacted Ninja650Shop_Bret here but I never even got a response as to replacement of this LED.

:dunno:
Try Welcome to Moto Machines - Importer and Distributor for Hepco & Becker. They can get replacement leds from Ermax. You will probably have to email them.

·
Registered
507 Posts
what is the distance between the turn signals? I like the look of it but I don't want to be hassled if it's not legal.
My Ermax undertail needs some replacement leds for the license plate. So, while researching the issue, I saw that Ermax no longer sells the version with integrated turn signals. That got my curiosity up, and I looked up the ND laws on motorcycle equipment. Turns out, rear turn signals must be either amber or red in ND, not white like the Ermax. The law also unhelpfully states that the turn signals should be as wide apart as possible. Huh? Like on the ends of a yardstick?

I'm going to guess the version with integrated turn signals isn't legit in ND. But LEOs have seen me and haven't stopped me for a ticket. So, do I just replace the leds and get by or do I replace the undertail?

Edit: federal regulations at 49 CFR 571.108 say that the minimal horizontal separation between rear turn signals is 9 inches centerline to centerline. This is in table 1c, if you want to look it up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts