RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, so last night I replaced some OEM bolts and thought I would finally do the soap trick to see if my exhaust was leaking... Was it ever. It was like a bubble machine on my bike.

So couple questions about that. I bought my Hard Krome pipes off ebay and they came with no attachment fittings, so I used the stockers (which seemed to work to me?) and I put the HD gaskets on (but only one set, I have another set that I can still do the double gasket trick.) But I'm wondering if there's a problem with the attachment fittings? Maybe these were supposed to have a different attachment fitting?? I have some pictures showing how they look seated and tightened down.

Rear

Front

It seems maybe there's not even pressure from the brackets on the exhaust flange to the port hole because of the spacing between the engine and the bracket???
I can't get anything other than a open end wrench on these acorn nuts to tighten them either. So I have no idea if they're torqued enough, or to much.

Any help on that from anyone? I'm going to remove the pipes and double the gasket and hope that does the trick. But something about the way it all attaches just doesn't seem right to me.

Also, pulled my plugs yesterday to check them and realized i really had no idea what they should look like.......... :doh

So can you guys tell me from these pics what's going on. If they're ok or what not.

All I have is the pipes, no FC or Intake.

Rear Left

Front Left

Rear Right

Front Right

I'm guessing you guys are going to tell me to change them since they're so cheap lol So what do I replace them with?

Thanks for the help in advance!!

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
Hey Guys, so last night I replaced some OEM bolts and thought I would finally do the soap trick to see if my exhaust was leaking... Was it ever. It was like a bubble machine on my bike.

I'm guessing you guys are going to tell me to change them since they're so cheap lol So what do I replace them with?
You did test the pipes when stone cold, right ??

As for the plugs, the top one looks a little rich but they all look like they were WAY overdue for a change.
Nothing there you should really worry about, in my opinion.
Put back the same kind that came out.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You did test the pipes when stone cold, right ??

As for the plugs, the top one looks a little rich but they all look like they were WAY overdue for a change.
Nothing there you should really worry about, in my opinion.
Put back the same kind that came out.
Yes. I hadn't ridden it for a couple of days. Stupid allergies...

Thanks man!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
You may need to add a washer behind the exhaust nuts. Sometimes the nuts will bottom out on the stud without fully sealing the exhaust.

The MS rear cylinders generally like it a little leaner than the front cylinder. In other words, if your front cylinder fuel mixture is spot on and you're running the identical mixture to the rear cylinder, the rear cylinder will tend to be too rich. This is common. Many find their rear cylinder plugs looking like yours. A properly tuned fuel management system would improve it.

Some folks also run a a hotter #5 plug in the rear cylinder and a normal #6 on the front.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You may need to add a washer behind the exhaust nuts. Sometimes the nuts will bottom out on the stud without fully sealing the exhaust.

The MS rear cylinders generally like it a little leaner than the front cylinder. In other words, if your front cylinder fuel mixture is spot on and you're running the identical mixture to the rear cylinder, the rear cylinder will tend to be too rich. This is common. Many find their rear cylinder plugs looking like yours. A properly tuned fuel management system would improve it.

Some folks also run a a hotter #5 plug in the rear cylinder and a normal #6 on the front.
I had thought about the Acorn nuts bottoming out, so i put them on the stud by itself to see how far they'd go on, and unfortunately that's definitely NOT the problem. I only have (roughly) 3/16" of threads exposed with the attachment fittings on. And they seemed to go on roughly 1/2" on just the stud.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts