RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with engine surging after leaving my bike un-loved and unstarted for nearly 6 months. I had to drain the gas from the tank and carbs before I could get the engine to catch. I have to leave the choke wide open to keep the engine running (I'm not about to take it out on the road). What happens is that the engine revs from 500 to 3000 rpm and doesn't settle to a steady number. If I close the choke, the engine dies. Oil level is ok. Anybody have any ideas (apart from chastising me for not taking better care of my scoot)?

JB

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Do you have good fuel flow? Are all the vacuum lines connected? Do you have good air flow? Do you have enough fuel in the tank. If you only put in a small amount, try it with the selector on "Reserve".

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Check idle adjust screw. Can you lower choke level to a point where it still runs, just before it dies ? Is there a pidgon stuck in your air intake ? Kidding. How many miles on clock ?

Tony

·
Registered
18 Posts
Surging

Sounds like varnish in the Carbs. You did put Sta-Bil in the take before you let it sit didn't you. :( Seriously, if you let fuel sit in the float bowls for six months, the gas will turn to varnish and gum up the jets. Just draining the the fuel will not help at this point. They need a good cleaning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts