RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been a few posts about this. Since they were a few years old I wanted to start a new one.

While riding my bike to work about a 45min ride and all is fine the problem was the ride home. The ride home takes about 1hr.

With today reaching a high of 90 I hit some traffic 45min into the commute. The bike ran fine no problems and the temp was 221. I decided to take the local roads with more lights.

My bike began to loose power and started to have a weird firing sound. The bike began to surge and eventually the idle rpm would slowly drop from 1100 to 500 and then oil light comes on and engine stalls Engine temp 214-218

I cant start the bike again I have to pull off to the side of the road for a couple of minutes and let the bike cool down. Eventually I am able to start up but this continues for the rest of the ride. I had to stop easily 10+ times

I have an 03 Z1000 with just under 10K miles
PC3 custom map - K&N with Air Box Mod - IXIL slip ons - I changes the coolant to Distilled water & Water wetter 50/50 Mix

I have read a few posts about people needing to change the plugs. I have yet to pull the plugs to check. I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems and possibly any ideas where to start looking.

The stalling seems to happen when the bike temp gets to the 200+

·
Registered
213 Posts
and what happens when the bike is cooled off,at normal oper.temp?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had to get home so i would let it sit and when i turned the bike on it still read a temp of 214-218 but once i started it would drop down to 208 (maybe a bad sensor). Once it has fully cooled down the bike runs fine.

·
Registered
213 Posts
no,not a bad sensor.that's normal.as to why it stalls:does the oil pressure light come on before it stalls?what type of oil are you using?

·
Registered
691 Posts
My 05 has never gotten that hot!!! if I remember correctly the manual says that above 215 or so the temp flashes telling you your too hot, after 220 the bike turns off. Have you tried running "engine ice" as a coolant? a lot of guys here have had good luck with that. Did your radiator fan come on? mine pop's on around 200 and cools things back down, if yours did not it may not be working, which would spur the problem.
good luck

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The oil pressure light does come it starts to flicker. I am using Castrol Oil. I need to do another oil change soon. The levels look good when looking through the window.

The fan does come on. I also swapped out the stock fan for an aluminum Muzzy Fan.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I believe in the manual upwards around 240 is when it is considered over heating . . . my fan comes on around 212 and has never gone over 218 temps.

My suggestion would be changing the oil, flushing your coolant, check for any leaks or clogs and put enging ice or normal coolant in. Keep us informed

·
Registered
213 Posts
i would recomend changing the oil,go with Mobil1,as havy as you can.get K&N oil filter.they are the same price as OEM.as far as engine ice,definetly use it.it keeps the engine cooler longer and cools it off faster.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update. Unfortunately the problem is still happening. Before I put my bike away I switched to Engine Ice, Put on the K&N. Also the hose from the tank to the fuel pump appeared to be cut in half which i replaced. The same symptoms still are happening. I am going to change the Oil to Mobil 1 any suggestions and to the weight?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Was the wierd firing sound a predetonation type sound? I don't think an oil change would fix this from the sound of it. Sounds like the bike messed up and then the oil light came on. Not the other way around. It almost sounds like my old truck when the fuel filter would plug up from bad gas. I would check fuel pressure.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like a fun memorial day weekend for me. Thanks for the advise. I also ran the bike yesterday to see if I can replicate the problem. So far no luck the fan kick on at about 210 around that time the bikes idle speed would begin to fluctuate. The fan would stop and the bike would start to idle normally.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Maybe its electrical? Check the loop that is connected to the fan for worn wires or bad connections. Maybe you are losing spark when the fans on for some reason.

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem

I had the same problem today with my 636. The engine cut out and the oil light came on, so I pulled off the highway. After a few minutes, it started right up and I was able to go another mile or so. This repeated a few times for a few miles until i was able to make it home. Today is the hottest day I can remember, so I'm thinking its heat related. Did you ever find out what the problem was?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts