RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow riders! I am posting this question to see if anyone out there can help me diagnose a specific problem. I have a 2014 Ninja 650ABS that has recently been having overheating issues. Over the Winter, I had decided to give the motorcycle a new look and after completing a full maintenance regimine, discovered my cooling fan wasn't kicking on. Found it was a blown fuse. Replaced fuse, but tested the fan as well. Fan comes on just fine with 12v power with no unusual noises. The bike sat for about 2-3 days and I went out to cycle fluids and found my fan is not working again. Another blown fuse. I've checked to make sure there are no obstructions preventing it from proper operation. I've also checked the wiring from fan to fuse and all is good. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this fixed? Thank you for your time, and ride safe!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
The fan might seem to work with direct 12v current, but it could be faulty. Start your bike and let it run up to where the fan should start, and then see if the fan cuts in and spins like it should. If it cuts in then blows a fuse, it is most likely drawing too much current, thus the blown fuse - I would recommend replacing the fan.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My fan stopped working. When I initially put power to it directly from the battery, it spun up. I spent a while testing the circuit. Came back and tested the fan again and it was dead. Purchased a used fan off eBay and it worked great. The fan is a common failure point on these bikes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello fellow riders! I am posting this question to see if anyone out there can help me diagnose a specific problem. I have a 2014 Ninja 650ABS that has recently been having overheating issues. Over the Winter, I had decided to give the motorcycle a new look and after completing a full maintenance regimine, discovered my cooling fan wasn't kicking on. Found it was a blown fuse. Replaced fuse, but tested the fan as well. Fan comes on just fine with 12v power with no unusual noises. The bike sat for about 2-3 days and I went out to cycle fluids and found my fan is not working again. Another blown fuse. I've checked to make sure there are no obstructions preventing it from proper operation. I've also checked the wiring from fan to fuse and all is good. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this fixed? Thank you for your time, and ride safe!
Make sure you have the right fuse. You might have 5A fuse, but it actually may need 10A fuse. if you're not the first owner, I would definitely check that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts