RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
i wanna start a discussion that is very challenging across internet.
Can we use Car Engine Oil (with correct API & Viscosity) in a modern scooter like?:
Yamaha XMAX 250/300
Yamaha NMAX 155
Honda PCX150/160
and ...
Since the gearbox is separated from engine i think it is safe and i don't think Oil Companies actually pour car oil and scooter oil bottles with different oils ...
what do you think?!

·
American Legion Rider
122 Posts
I think the answer is yes. But I would only use those that don't have the friction modifiers in it just to be on the safe side. That's even though you are talking about 2 separate holes. I'd just be leery of the possibility of any with friction modifiers potentially getting into the gearbox. I'm a big chicken that way. If something CAN go wrong it WILL go wrong.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Modern motorcycles have integrated engines, ........transmission and engine are together in one single case......thus oil is used not just to lubricated the engine, but to lube the transmission as well. ...Motorcycle engines, in general, with shorter piston strokes, also tend to rev much higher than automobiles engines........additionally,..oil is the clutch cooling media on motorcycle equipped with wet clutches.....the great majority

..................for these reasons, the oil for motorcycles is rated HEAVY DUTY, same as the oil used in diesel engines. Their polymers are harder to break. You can use oil formulated for cars....it is simply light duty.....You are much, much better off using heavy duty .......formulated either for Diesel engines or Motorcycle engines. Anything Heavy Duty means longer life. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Your choice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys guys
I am talking about SCOOTERs they do have separated gearboxes qnd the gearbox itself has oil for itself
So the engine oil is only for engine not gearbox

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Modern motorcycles have integrated engines, ........transmission and engine are together in one single case......thus oil is used not just to lubricated the engine, but to lube the transmission as well. ...Motorcycle engines, in general, with shorter piston strokes, also tend to rev much higher than automobiles engines........additionally,..oil is the clutch cooling media on motorcycle equipped with wet clutches.....the great majority

..................for these reasons, the oil for motorcycles is rated HEAVY DUTY, same as the oil used in diesel engines. Their polymers are harder to break. You can use oil formulated for cars....it is simply light duty.....You are much, much better off using heavy duty .......formulated either for Diesel engines or Motorcycle engines. Anything Heavy Duty means longer life. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Your choice.
Talking about scooters not motorcycles buddy

·
Administrator
2,738 Posts
Talking about scooters not motorcycles buddy
Well, it's not really a scooter site, but if the engine and gearbox are seperate, then running car oil in the engine should be ok.

But, you have already read this on other forums - so what's the point of this thread?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have not read this on other forums actually, but on reddit and similar platforms the opinions are totally different so i wanted to pit and end to this once and for all

·
Administrator
2,738 Posts
I have not read this on other forums actually, but on reddit and similar platforms the opinions are totally different so i wanted to pit and end to this once and for all
It's simple. You can run whatever oil you choose in the engine. If you have a motorcycle that has the engine AND gearbox combined - don't run car oil because it has friction modifiers that affect the wet clutch of motorcycles. With a scooter which has a seperate gearbox - run whatever you like.

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
Oil discussion...once and for all. Lol

We ask about oil because we want to feel like one part of this mysterious machine is under our control.

The manual will tell you exactly what to use, if you don't trust your own judgement. Not a guess, not an opinion. Sometimes they even give a specific brand .

Reactions: Ozninjaguy

·
Administrator
2,738 Posts
Oil discussion...once and for all. Lol

We ask about oil because we want to feel like one part of this mysterious machine is under our control.

The manual will tell you exactly what to use, if you don't trust your own judgement. Not a guess, not an opinion. Sometimes they even give a specific brand .
Yep. There are probably thousands of oil threads on vehicle forums, and you hit the nail on the head. Go by the manufacturers recommendaion.

As long as any oil meets the minimum required specifications - then all other discussion is fairly moot. It comes down to whether someone perceives an oil as being better than another of the same specifications. Lot's of guys have brand loyalty or fall for the advertising hype.

Having said that, I resisted using synthetic oil for many years because of the price and because I thought that mineral oil was just as good. Recently I changed the Aprilia's oil to synth and I did notice the top end was quieter and that notchiness engaging 1st gear wasn't as bad. Otherwise, I couldn't tell if there was any difference to mineral oil.

I've changed all the bikes, (we have five in total), to synth, not because I think that it is far superior to mineral oil, but because I can extend the oil change intervals.

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
My old boss wasn't too sharp. The company bought us new service trucks. 2008 ford's, with the v10 engine.

He ended up being fired. At that point we realized he had one 36,000 miles on the original factory oil.

The truck was sold, running, five years later and it had 250,000 miles without any issues.

In all the motorcycles, cars, lawnmowers, etc I've never had an issue that was related to an oil being good, or bad. Oil has to be good enough, and that's it. Exceeding the "good enough" spec makes people feel good.

Reactions: Ozninjaguy

·
Registered
212 Posts
Can I run olive oil or is canola better?

·
Administrator
2,738 Posts
Maybe as long as it's Virgin. I've not figured out how anything can be Extra Virgin.
Regarding Olive oil - extra virgin means the oil is from the first pressing of the Olives. There are several pressings, some using chemical extraction of the oil. Extra virgin is the best with the true stronger Olive oil flavour, Virgin oil has less flavour and many people use it because it is relatively bland in taste so good for cooking almost anything and adding to salads, and then there is a chemical pressing used to extract the oil. Avoid that one.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well, Olive is natural, whereas Canola is GM - so I guess it comes down to do you want original - or synthetic.
I think on these older engines, synthetic is not recommended ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think on these older engines, synthetic is not recommended
not recommended by the people who make dino oil. it cuts into their business. been doing great on amsoil synthetic for 4 years on my ZR-7S and all my bikes including my 85 v65 honda

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yes, you can run car oil in a scooter engine. What's the oil change interval?
Because of the higher RPM of the scooter engine and the lower capacity, the oil will get beat up more.
My Honda Helix 250 takes just under a quart and has a 1200 mile change interval. I change it every time the odometer spins to a new 1000 miles. (When it changes from 6999 miles to 7000 miles. From 7999 to 8000 miles and so on). No need to keep a log.

·
American Legion Rider
122 Posts
not recommended by the people who make dino oil. it cuts into their business. been doing great on amsoil synthetic for 4 years on my ZR-7S and all my bikes including my 85 v65 honda
It's basically a per bike kind of thing. Some can run synthetic in their bike and others will develop a leak. They switch back to dino and no more leak. So it's a try it and see.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts