RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys first time caller, long time listener...I have a 2002 saki zr 7s with a blown engine...and I found an complete 2000 engine on ebay that runs and all. But I need to know if It will just bolt it on or not... 1200 original miles....should I resurrect the beast or move on...!?!? Thanks for ur time and knowledge! ! U guys are the best! It's my first bike...buy the ticket,take the ride! H.S.T.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
all the ZR7 engines are the same 1999-2004
the only changes though the years were cosmetic

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
yup same goes with the S model..same engine

hell id be willing to bet that the older GPZ engine would bolt right in too...it is the same block after all

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
yup same goes with the S model..same engine

hell id be willing to bet that the older GPZ engine would bolt right in too...it is the same block after all
yeah it will, a guy did it on here last year, it not a straight bolt in and go.
you have to adapt the wiring etc to get it running.
as long as he gets a zr7/zr7s engine it will drop in wih no other mods

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Swapping in any ZR7 or ZR7S engine will be fine. As Shortlife said the others would likely work, but just as likely need some "adjustments". If you have a zr7/7s engine it should be a straight swap with no issues other than the hookups being a PITA. :) The straight swap is the preferred and easiest method.

As for keeping it or letting it die, they are a great bike IMHO. If the cost of the engine is cheaper than what you're willing to spend on a new-to-you replacement bike, then go for it.

As well, welcome to the land of the forum contributors from the land of the forum lurkers!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
yeah keep another one alive
only 71 on the road here so rare in the uk, so i'd do it to mine

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
There are about a dozen to a dozen and a half zr7s listed for sale across Canada. I imagine we could double that with bikes that are owned and not for sale.

I've only ever seen 2 others in person. One was last year parked outside a bar and the other I passed going the opposite direction on the highway the other day.

I've never seen a non S version

FWIW I love mine. It's unique, functional and fun.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I have only seen 2 others and both the non-S
I think it was the more popular of the 2 versions here.
love mine also, I don't see me selling it , it ticks all the boxes when I was looking for a bike
old school enough to remind me of the 70/80s bikes yet with modern electronics and wider tyres/better brakes etc.

definitely get another engine and keep it going

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh dang! U guys are the best! Thanks so very much I'm forever grateful...I will be going through with it and I will keep u guys posted... thanks again...also if anyone plays clash o clans ur welcome to join my squad...lbcsharpshootaz...bwahahaha

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Oh dang! U guys are the best! Thanks so very much I'm forever grateful...I will be going through with it and I will keep u guys posted... thanks again...also if anyone plays clash o clans ur welcome to join my squad...lbcsharpshootaz...bwahahaha
You may find it helps to take lots of pictures or a video as you disassemble and remove the old engine. That way you have some visual reference on how hoses are routed and what connects where.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
You could recoup some of your engine swap costs by parting out your old motor on E-bay also. Head, carbs, etc... Be a good excuse to tear into the motor after it's out, and become familiar with it's internals. Heads, carbs, etc. are worth a few bucks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts