RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would share some email questions and the answers I got today:

Factory Pro:
Q. Your ignition advancer has been "in progress" for quite some time. Is it going to be available soon?
A. Lost original in move -
Restarting process - take 30 to 60 days.

Q. Is there any plan for a Stage 3 kit for this bike?
A. Not enough room for filters - they hit the frame. Modifying the airbox seems to do very little

Holeshot:
Q. I am curious if you plan to put out any more performance products for the Kawi ZR-7(S). Things like a stage 3 kit, or timing advancer, piston kits, etc...
A. No sorry not at this time. If I see the sales rise maybe but so far I just cant see justifying all the R&D time and dollars it would take.

Figured I would pass on the info to the board. I think Dale Walker's (Holeshot) comment about sales rising is affecting a lot of things/places causing some of us long delays on products, i.e. Corbin, Zero Gravity, Factory 1st jet kit, and the ignition advancer.

The ZR-7(s) is much more popular in Europe and wonder if our riders across the pond have had any luck with these types of items being more available over there.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot one, but the short story is K&N said that a Stage 3 kit "was in the works". I then checked with Dynojet (who makes the kits that K&N sells, they only chip in the filter) and Dynojet says there is no plan to produce one. Funny stuff.

·
Registered
499 Posts
internal engine mods

APE is one place you can send your cylinders for overboring and they will also send you the 810 Weisco pistons to fit the new sized cylinders. They can also race balance, lighten and polish your crank if you want.

They will also take your engine out to 880 but they have to do quite a bit more work, $$$.

Needless to say this will cost a bit. You would have to call them for pricing and turn around time as well as more details on their program.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hate to be a naysayer on this bigbore thing but it takes airflow to make serious hp. You could bore it to a 1200 and a good 600 would still outrun it. Not bashing the bike, I love mine, bought it for the simplicity and the ergo's. But the old two valve head is the limiting factor, not the bore size. If you absolutely must throw money at it, either force feed it air (turbo) or put some more compression in it and have some major head work done.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Respect to klrBill. As far as I know, he was the one who originated the muffler mod we all know and love as well as other words of wisdom on all matters mechanical.:cool:

Malc

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks Malc, but I'm sure someone else did the muff mod b4 I did. Just had mine off one day and it looked like it needed help. Been away for the zr7 boards lately and thought I'd nose in to see if there were any new mod tips. Looks like the same ole stuff though. It's snowmobile time for me so the bikes are in storage. I have given the advancer some thought, this MAY be just a matter of playing with the tps adjustment or believe it or not, cutting or ungrounding a wire. This is the case on many jap bikes but I haven't had time to work on it. The other thing is a reuseable valve cover gasket. Last year I talked with a gasket maker (does aircraft stuff but also makes em for 1100 zook based dragbike motors). He said no problem just needed my head cover, this was in the middle of riding season so that was out of the question. Asked on one of these boards if anyone else was interested to make the venture worth while. Only 2 guys showed interest, seems not too many people were doing their own valve checks or they were Ok with scraping off the Kawi $$$ gaskets. Anyway to cut to the chase it's winter, I'm not riding and the head cover can now be sent off. price will be pretty close to the stock gasket if I can order enough to make it worthwhile. cheers

·
Maintenance Overlord
5,609 Posts
Re Cylinder Head Cover Gasket.

I am interested in a reuseable, gasket, as I am sure other forum members will be

The price for a replacement gasket in Aus is aprox US$40. I,ll only be paying that under sufferance, I intend making my own gasket I know it is intricate, but once it is made I should be able to reuse it, keep us posted.

Graeme Gould at Byron Bay the most Easterly part of Australia

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i think martin posted that if you put a thin layer of grease on the head gasket it still works but is easy to remove next time you pull the cover.

scott :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KLRBill,

The head isn't necessarily a limiting factor. Well, I guess it depends on what you consider to be "serious horsepower". You can get the 7 to 90hp with cams, 880 pistons, jet kits and exhaust. You will get into triple digits with some head work and dropping $1000 on some Mikuni Smoothbore 34's (they have a set that will fit the 7, Part # RS34-D21-K).

The 2 valve set-up requires more money to move it up the HP scale compared to a 4 valve, but it doesn't limit it. There are PLENTY of older KZ1000's bored out with new cams , carb work, etc...hitting 120HP. The is "serious HP" gains to me considering it was probably in the mid 90's stock.

Your right

1 - 10 of 10 Posts