RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I want to put my Muzzy pipe on my '06 Z and i need a power commander. Any input on what works best for plug and play would be gratefully appreciated. I don't want to do a bunch of dyno runs or computer downloads. I didn't need one in Florida, but now I live I Colorado and I definitely need one. So if anyone has any experience with black boxes let me know.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The only way that I would suggest is Power Commander and having properly tuned on a dyno but if you must get a base download from the PC website and dump it in your PC

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have ya heard anything about the Cobra fi2000r1? They say it's set for specific bikes.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Have ya heard anything about the Cobra fi2000r1? They say it's set for specific bikes.
"Everything is always set for specific bikes", but the only way to get a specific setup is a dyno run, especially where your at now. You'll notice a huge difference from your stock setup.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeah, specific bike means that the connectors will fit with your OEM... has nothing to do with the mapping.

You will need a custom map, or to find a map that matches your setup, mods?

There is definitely tweaking that has to take place. If you get a dyno tune, MAKE SURE they give you a BEFORE and AFTER print out... otherwise, they could do nothing at all, and you would never know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx guys for your help. I think I need to do some more research on what's out there. Basically though my bike is stock except for the Muzzy pipe I had on it. So it might not be that far from stock for the tuning. It ran really good in Floriduh without a box but when I rode the first time I got here, it went through a tank of gas in about 70 miles and it smelled like an old lawnmower!. I put the stock exhaust back on and, while it is down a little power due to the altitude, it runs like it did when it was new. So this weekend I'm going to due some web surfing and see what I can find. I'll let ya's know what I find. Thanx again.

·
Registered
749 Posts
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/motorcycle_efi_basics.htm

This has some decent information about basic fuel injection. From what I can tell we have what the article terms Alpha-n type fuel injection. The computer just used throttle position, rpm, and engine temp. It plugs those figures into the chart and boom you have your fuel value. I think the power commander would definitly help, because with the change in altitude you have changed a variable that the pc can't account for.

By the way, if you are in for a little comedy you can read the preceding pages defending the harley company for going to fuel injection and abandoning its fan base.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts