RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Gang,

This is my first real post about the differences (both good and bad) between my old ZR-7s and my new FZ-1.

Here is my "First Ride" experience:
Pros:
1. The riding position is more comfortable (for me), much more straight up and down beause the handlebars are higher.
2. The footpegs feel like there in the same spot as the ZR though.
3. It has a digital clock built in that's easy to read and illuminated at night.
4. Brighter head lights
5. Shifting is much smoother and the "click" more noticable.
6. I'm only supposed to do 5K rpm max. I can do 70 mph in 6th gear at 5K rpm.
7. More "Crowd Pleasing" I've already got a thumbs up and "nice bike" done to me three times from strangers.
8. There is NO off-idle hesistaion.
9. I saw another one without "searching" for it.

Cons:
1. Noticeably taller, CoG seems higher too. Weight, about the same. Due to seemingly higher CoG it's harder to balance at low speed.
2. It's harder to get to the side-stand than on the ZR.
3. Less wind protection than the stock ZR.
4. More vibration in the handlebars.
5. The rubber on the footpegs is too soft. Feels like my foot kind of slides around.
6. The transmission feels "notchy". I've read this goes away after the breaking.
7. It' cold-blooded like the beloved ZR.
8. The engine seems warmer than the ZR.

After getting her home and familiarizing myself with the bike by reviewing the Owners Manual, I discovered something strange . . This bike has no fuel tap.
:?
It has a fuel gauge and a fuel warning light but not fuel tap. No switching to reserve. I don't know if I like this or not but I'll live with it.

I'll post another comparison after I get a chance to ride it around some this weekend. ;)

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Hey Stan,

I know this should be in Group Rides or something, but let me know if you'd like to get together for a ride on Sunday or something. Tomorrow I have to get that patch put in my rear tire, then deal with this whole broken water heater thing. But if you'd like, I'd be willing to make the trek up there (no, not at 7:00 a.m. like the Canyondogs) on Sunday for a ride through the twisties by you. Hey, with a 5K rpm limit, I think I'd keep up!

Emrah

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Well, duh! Of course. That extra weight would give me a more "planted" feel. Plus it looks like the FZ (Stan) is already sideways. Passing should be a cinch. Hey, if I'm anywhere NEAR as fast as my lighting-quick 30 second freezing shower this morning, look out!

Emrah

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Emrah,

Hopefully you saw my post in Daily Ride (wrong location but high visibility). My wife wants me to stay way from the twisties for a little while and I can't argue with her. ;)

Andy,

Again, Thanks for the laugh.

Z

·
0 Posts
:laugh: :laugh: LOL:laugh: :laugh:

Andy, you kill me! :laugh: :laugh:

Pete S.

Still LOL!!!:laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Gang,

I just wanted to post another update on the FZ-1 for all those who would like to know.

I've put 632 miles on her in 6 days. Primarily going back and forth to work. I took some "personal" time off on Tuesday morning and took her to the twisties. Took it easy of course and stayed well within break-in rpms. I also took her down to visit the parents. These different kinds of driving conditions have given me much more comfort on the bike and a much better opinion.

These are some cons that I'd like to rebuke:

Netlore said:
Cons:
1. Noticeably taller, CoG seems higher too. Weight, about the same. Due to seemingly higher CoG it's harder to balance at low speed.
3. Less wind protection than the stock ZR.
4. More vibration in the handlebars.
6. The transmission feels "notchy". I've read this goes away after the breaking.
#1 was just "getting comfortable" which took a couple of rides. This was true of the Suzuki GZ250 I rode in the MSF course too.

#3 is actually true but was quickly resolved by the after market windscreen I bought. Great wind protection now.

#4 was actually a front suspension issue that was quickly resolved by making a slight adjustment. ;) Try that on the ZR :~

#6 is actaully true for the first 200+ miles. It seem to go away after about 240 miles.

I'd also like to add a few things. This bike is queit. Very "stealthy". Actually TOO sleathy. Cagers won't know you're there until you're "right" there OR you catch them with your high beams (I always using them in the day). This was the same complaint I had about my ZR until I add an after market pipe. I may have to wait a while before I can get one of those. :(

POWERFUL That's the only way to describe the engine. I usually need to feather the clutch a little in first in places that I didn't have to on the ZR. It pulls all the way up. It truly is amazing. I have tremendous respect for it. My wife has even noticed that my Lats (back muscles) are starting to "bulk" up . . this is from hanging on to the handlebars :D It's literally neck snapping.

TALLER Riders . . If you're over 6'2" or have a 35"+ inseam (like me) this bike fits perfect. Great for those long arms too (I've got a 77" wingspan).

GREAT BRAKES . . this bike has a world class braking system. If you want to stop . . you stop.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Netlore - Looks like you have found us all a ZR7 alternative. If there was one complaint I had with my ZR7, it would be the brake. It's just not like how it is as you said it for FZ1, it rather goes like this for ZR7, "If you want to stop.....you will stop".

I can't wait to test ride Honda Hornet 900. We are starting to getting more high performance naked bikes now.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Netlore- You are really making me want one of these. I fear the only way I will get one is if I buy my wife the Jeep Liberty she wants. Even then.... I swore to her I would keep this bike for 5 seasons. 2002 is season 3, I still love the ZR-7 but I am a big guy and "need" more power :rolleyes:

I can't wait to hear more about your new toy. HEY... can you adjust the valve clearance without tearing the engine appart?

Chris

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GlennDarragh said:
Stan
Just wondering if you miss the positive neutral finder feature of the ZR-7 gearbox, especially if you ride in stop start traffic a lot.
Not at all. I have to deal with a lot of stop and go traffic in my commute.

Chris,

Sorry, I haven't really looked. The owners manual says you should check the valve clearance every 26,600 miles !! I think the ZR manual calls for it every 10,000 miles. I should have some time before I need to check it (current ODO: 897)

My first experience with maintenance will be a recommended (by the mechanic at the shop) oil change @ 2000 miles. I'm looking into getting a shop manual for it . . there are some available on ebay :)

This bike is alarmingly responsive to everything. Flick the throttle almost anywhere (2k+ rpm) and it GOES. There were times I never had to shift gears when my friend on his Triumph Trophy 900 did. 2 finger and tap the brakes and it SLOWS. I had to re-teach myself how soon I need to brake.

I rode for 5 hours yesterday and the only discomfort I had was right hand fatigue. The ZR would have left me with slightly sore wrist because of my height and the bikes natural "semi-upright" position. The FZ is completely upright . . at least stock.

The only pitfall I can really see is for the shorter legged rider and a Corbin w/ a nose job could fix that easily.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts