RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Monster 900. I might be able to get a deal on a 1998 with 1400 miles on it. Someone I know is looking to get rid of his for cheap because he is on mulitple lists for a Harley V-Rod. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
If you can't get it real cheap, don't buy it. All you'll be paying for is the Ducati prestige.

I've never ridden one, but I've read a lot about them. They aren't really any faster than our ZR-7's, and they are an aquired taste when it comes to looks.

Just my opinion. Not something I'd be "upgrading" to if you already have a ZR.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i've ridden a 916 super sport. it's a bit different than the monster: fairng, clip ons and water cooled so it's got more power. it had *wicked* torque, sounds like rolling thunder and IMO looks absolutely beautiful.

compared to the zr-7 the monster is going to have a more rigid frame, higher end components and probably some more power since it's bigger; not that much, it's still air cooled. the engine character is different because it's a twin which means better low end torque and better engine braking. i'guess it handles better than the 7 because it's designed for performance.

but triple has a very good point. you pay a heavy premium for that name. it will be nicer in some ways but you'll probably pay a great deal more for a little bit better performance. also, your insurance, maintenace and parts costs are going to be notably higher.

the zr-7 may be the bottom of the food chain in sport bikes but it's still incredibly good. with a few mods it gets even better. it's tough to beat it in bang for the buck.

personally, i dig the looks of the ducati super sports and monsters except for the back fender on teh monsters. looks like they didn't know how to finish it.

scott :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
so the ZR-7s would be a better buy -vs- a Ducati monster 620?
Maintenance costs are that big of a difference?

that's something good to know.

Shawn

·
Registered
286 Posts
If you can truly get it for cheap, buy it. Duc's are a blast but they are quirky. It's part of their charm though. Yeah the 900's make only a bit more peak HP than the ZR-7 but they weigh 75+ pounds less and make shedloads more torque. I almost bought a Monster 750 instead of the ZR but I wanted the factory hard luggage. You can get crazy with Duc's too. My buddy had a heavily modified 92 that ran on pump gas and would pull lurid, politically incorrect wheelies in third gear.

As far as maintenance costs go, they can rack up if you just take it to the shop. If you are mechanically competent, the costs aren't that high just a bit time consuming. The valves aren't as difficult as the mystique that surrounds them purports. BTW, by mechanically competent I mean checking valve clearances on a ZR sounds like a fun way to kill a lazy sunday afternoon.
For some really great Duc info, check out my buddies website @ http://www.ducatitech.com

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
maintenance and insurance are higher. call an ins company and ask. call some shops and ask prices onf first and second servies.

but that doesn't mean the ducati's not the bike for you. if you dig crazy torque, the thundering, raw exhaust note of a race bred v-twin and lots of italian sex appeal buy the ductai. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE!!!

BUT, if you like not worrying about your ride getting ripped off, low insurance and maintenance costs and super reliability the zr-7 is a tough contender. so are many other japanese budget bikes.

the monster 620 makes about the same hp as the zr-7, probably has better torque down low. it's only got a single front disk. many reviews note it's lack of adjustable suspension, and other minor disappointments.

and while you can haggle on the zr-7 i doubt you'll ever get a new ducati out of the showroom for less thatn msrp.

the duc 620 and zr-7 are probably closer than ducati would like to admit in performance. but riding one you'd be hard pressed not to fall in love with a ducati.

think about it this way, no matter how much you love you significant other your head still spins when a super model walks by. doesn't mean you'd rather have them but there's no disguise for true beauty.

look at me, i rode one only once for less than half an hour and i just can't shut up about it! but i wouldn't trade my zr-7 for it. now if i could afford to keep both... ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love the ZR-7 still, I think it's a great bike, but I'm one of those people that always likes to have something different. I shouldn't even think about getting a new bike already, mine is only 8 months old, but it's fun to do. I don't know how much he is willing to part with the bike for, but it could come down to my dad being able to sell him his BMW 540i, and we unload the Ducati for him in the deal. Retail on a 98 is $8100, so I would think anything less than $7000 would be a good deal, it was $13000 new. It's one of those things that could be hard to pass up, at least for me being only 20, if the oppurtunity arises. If I pass on the Duc, I think I may try to go for an FZ-1 or for a 919.

·
Registered
965 Posts
The Monster 900 is almost equal on power and top speed with the ZR7. The 600 and the new 620 are just too slow, doN#t even bother.
If you buy it you should be prepared for minor faults, like tail lights blowing, fork seals failing etc. The engine is strong but the desmodromic system and V2 engine means do8uble-triple time is required for a valve adjustment. That alone takes maintenance costs really high if you can't do it yourself.
The handling is completely different than the ZR7, suspension is really good but only on good surfaces. On roads with potholes and other kinds of undulations the Monster jumps around like crazy.
There is also the Monster 900 S4 that has the water cooled engine from the 916 and is really fast although the balance of the bike is affected by th edifferent engine (front weight).
For the price I would buy the ZRX1200 :) (I think I will anyway at some point)

Aris

·
Registered
78 Posts
My buddy Dean got a new S4 this fall(Sept) Here's a pic of me taking it for a spin. Nice bike, power comparable to my ZRX1100. Wheelies and handles nice too. I couldn't push it very hard 'cause the road was damp from a shower but I really like it overall. Looking forward to another ride on it in the spring. I think he got it for $11500.

Warning: Uh, excuse the "wave".

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
purdue, don't worry so much. i sold my first bike after a short while too. i spent/lost a little money on the deal (between selling that one low and then buying the zr-7) but i don't regret it at all.

aris, thanks for the info. sounds like the monster have race bred suspension and they expect track conditions to perform well.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Purdue, if you want something different...

KEEP YOUR ZR-7!

Sometimes I think that this board constitutes the entire world's population of ZR-7 riders. I have yet to meet anyone in person who could actually identify my motorcycle. Even the Kawasaki shop that I had do my 600 mile service heard "ZR-7" and ordered gaskets for a "ZX-7."

Buying a Ducati won't get you something different. There's way more of a craze around Monsters than there is around ZR-7's.

But hey, just my opinion... again. It will all come down to what you like more. People think I'm foolish for prefering the Daytona over the faster and more practical Japanese litre-bikes. I just like the 955, can't help it. It'll work the same way for you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Triple - I thought it only happens to me. I have yet to find one person to know what's a ZR7 when I tell it. This includes Kawasaki dealers and workshops! They always want to correct me asking me if I meant ZX7? Yesterday, I went to few bike shops looking for a topbox. I was asked in every single occasion if I was referring to ZX7? When I told them ZR7 is the naked Kawasaki 750. Few of them responded, "Ahhh.. the Zephyr." I give up.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i get the same thing. personally i wouldn't mind continuing the zephyr name if they would know what you were talking about but it still doesn't help. then they tell you the zephyr wasn't made in 2000. i give up :)

scott

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I can live without the Zephyr name. It reminds me of the junkers Ford Motor Company put out a few years back, the Zephyr and the Fairmont :( .

·
Registered
988 Posts
Brighton Kawasaki knows what a ZR-7 is ... they have a silver 2002 model on the showroom floor

1 - 17 of 17 Posts