RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

Dual Headlight Mod

16K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  jaindesi 
#1 ·
Got my headlight mod from Fulleke and installed it in about 20 minutes. Pretty straight forward installation. If anyone hasn't done this and don't mind spending a few bucks to do it I highly recommend it. I hated having one light on all the time and high beam was just too bright to leave it on even during the day.

See less See more
#2 ·
Cool though not for me.
I have to say I always drive with high beam on during daylight and NEVER had so far the problem that one cager didn't see me. Honestly I don't care HOW bright my HIDs are - I want to be seen and even cops didn't pull me over even after I drove behind them for some time in city and freeway traffic.

#4 ·
tyguy said:
Cool though not for me.
I have to say I always drive with high beam on during daylight and NEVER had so far the problem that one cager didn't see me. Honestly I don't care HOW bright my HIDs are - I want to be seen and even cops didn't pull me over even after I drove behind them for some time in city and freeway traffic.
Well I drive the cage alot and I have to say it annoys the F&#$% out of me when I see bikes with their high beams on all the time. It's blinding even in the day. We see you alright, then we are blinded, then we accidently run you over. So who wins? But we sure can see you right up til the moment we run you over. Sorry rant off. Most of the people I ride with leave high beams on all the time too and I get annoyed with them too. Look in my mirrors and all I can see is light lol. Anyway another option is to wear a bright colored helmet. Very easy to see also.

#5 ·
I feel the same way about high beams. I alway use my low beam on my bike. High beams may have been OK when all headlights were non-halogen, but now I think the glare is extremely annoying. I know I'm momentarily distracted by the glare of a high beam and the road is no place to be distracted, even for a moment.

#6 ·
when I see bikes with their high beams on all the time.
Actually here in the US, at least in CA, it's recommended if I'm not wrong and even cops on bikes have them on (at least as they ride BMWs and not Kawi's or Harley's).

#7 ·
Here in the UK it is not recommended at all. Our bikes all have the Dipped beams hard-wired on for daytime use and that should be enough.

Putting on my instructor head for a moment, high beams are difficult to focus on and that makes it harder to judge speed, especially when it's coming straight towards you. They are also exaggerated by any bumps in the road, and in certain circumstances a driver waiting to pull out may think he is being flashed and will go. Add this to him being unable to work out how fast you are going and you're just asking to be the main ingredient in a T-Bone.

Having said all that, hard-wiring in the second dipped beam light sounds like a sensible idea. I've always wondered why manufacturers chuck twin headlights on a bike and then only have one working.

#8 ·
The reason I was told bikes with 2 headlights only has one turned on is because if a bike had 2 head lights and it's at night it looks like a car from far. Obviously this is not good if a car cuts infront of you thinking your a car that's very far away.

in other words... you just made you bike unsafe

#9 ·
Oh no I better take it off as soon as I can. Anyone wanna buy it?

#10 ·
Splash said:
The reason I was told bikes with 2 headlights only has one turned on is because if a bike had 2 head lights and it's at night it looks like a car from far. Obviously this is not good if a car cuts infront of you thinking your a car that's very far away. in other words... you just made you bike unsafe
???? The Z is not like a Harley where the lights are spaced 2and a half feet... how can one mistakenly take it for a car??? :2cents:

#12 ·
3 and more + the whole enchilada in christmas lights on top, left right ...whatever

#14 ·
The headlights on my wife's SV are spaced pretty far apart and they are both on all the time. I can't imagine anyone mistaking it for a car. Well if they had one too many beers maybe. But then having both of our lights on would be the least of our worries I think.

#16 ·
Hey ProZac, question for you. I'm thinking about getting the same mod, running both lights at the same time (on an '07 z1000). I'm worried about the battery load being too high, have you ever had any problems related to your battery? Also, did you notice a significant improvement in your visibility at night time? If so, was long distance vision, short distance vision, or both improved? Thanks!

-Daniel

#19 ·
i got the mod fitted to my 07 no problems at all with bat
night ridin is inproved as the full beam is lit at 40% on dip beam
so there is a little more light
when on full beam its exactley the same as standard
its the best mod i done to my bike :2cents:

#18 ·
Vinnie-V, isn't that an pretty expensive and laborious setup? Is that the whole HID rave? Do you have an links of where to get a good deal for a '07 z1000? Any input on the difficulty of the setup? Thanks.

Prozac, still wondering about your mod's performance.

-Daniel

#20 ·
Thanks Kentsclan. I think I'm now leaning towards Vinnie-V's suggestion. From what I've read so far, it does sound like one Xenon is brighter than 2 normal H7 lights. And I found a thread that pointed to an amazing deal:

http://www.starrotors.com/bulbs/

So for about the same price of the double light mod, I can get an HID conversion kit and bulbs. It's probably a little more work to install, but that's part of the fun right! Here is the link I found for installation. I've also read quite a few people have had issues with battery load with the double light mod, but one HID uses even less wattage than one normal light, much less two on at the same time. Not trying to knock your mod, I'm sure it's a whole lot better than stock, but the HID setup is looking like the best option.

Thanks guys!

-Daniel

#21 ·
No worries mate
i also realy like the Xenon
but i like both lights to work at the same time

to me the bike looks broken with only 1 light workin

#24 ·
SWITCH THOSE HIGH BEAMS OFF

When lane splitting/filtering could be a good idea but just general driving is pretty daft. I would want to blind someone just before I overtake them.

Theres better ways to be seen like a high vis H belt.

It may be a bit sad but its much more considerate and you can be seen from any direction to boot

#25 ·
Yeah have to agree, high beam is a big NO NO.:yell:
Bike to bike, high beam does not look to bad but when sat in a car your much lower down and in direct line of the light, therefore when you look in your mirrors you cant see what it is or how fast its going just alot of light.

Anyway if in dout (before an over take) give the horn a wee hoot. After all thats what its there for.

P.s The twin headlight convertion is a great mod, and cheap aswell.:dance:

#26 ·
Don't wanna stir the pot but
just alot of light.
that's exactly why I ride during daytime with the high beam on because of
just alot of light.
people we do a second guess and look.
So far - knock on wood - everybody saw me even notorious L.A. cell phone addicted chicks ... Can't women drive without a cell phone in their hand?!?!?!:FIREdevil

#27 ·
Don't wanna stir the pot but that's exactly why I ride during daytime with the high beam on because of people we do a second guess and look.
So far - knock on wood - everybody saw me even notorious L.A. cell phone addicted chicks ... Can't women drive without a cell phone in their hand?!?!?!:FIREdevil
What i was meaning is that i would perfer the driver of the car to see me as a motorbike and be able to judge my distance and speed.

WEll we can live and hope!!!:bud:

#28 ·
driver of the car to SEE me as a motorbike and be able to judge my distance and speed
I don't know how long you are riding but THAT idea I gave up approximately 29 years ago... thus riding with high beam on since then (during daylight only 'cause the HIDs would be a bit brutal on oncoming traffic at night).

#29 ·
Chill man!!! :confuse:This is not a competition, no need for you need to question my experiance. I am just expressing my opinion thats all:2cents:.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.