RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one seen or tried these??
KAWASAKI-Z1000-10-11-HID-PROJECTOR-CCFL-HALO-EYES-KIT
I recon they look awesome!! apparently you replace the back lens (reflective part) with this molded piece which contains a projector in each side with high/low beam in each side for that semetrical look like the new R1. it's also decked out with dual beam HID bulbs with ballasts, and the CCFL Halo's for parker/running lights. Price seems reasonable for what you get, i'm pretty keen to order it, just wondering if anyone on here has seen/fitted it?
cheers

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm going to put this light on my bike over the winter , looks very cool and the feedback from the lights he sold seems really poitive

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i thought the pricing was pretty good. you can pay up to $150 for just the dual beam HID bulbs and ballasts on their own.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Buy at the right place....
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W
H4 hi/low slim ballast $ 55 (set of TWO not a single set)
Yeah i know mate, that's why i put up to $150

plus these are no good on their own. Even if you got them to fit the stock headlight, one side is shaped/designed for low beam and the other side for high beam, so you still need to buy different headlight's/ projectors. But yeah i understand where you're coming from.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i ordered this kit so when it arrives, i'll take some pics as i put it together so you blokes can have a look.

·
Registered
133 Posts
drewboy , this is off subject but you being from Australia thought you would get a kick out this --- at work we have a guy who lived in Sidney for a while today we had a small
disagreement and he said " look you crazy dingo that's not what I said " needless to say this cracked me up and it was all over.

cool you are getting the kit can't what for the info.

·
Registered
133 Posts
drewboy , this is off subject but you being from Australia thought you would get a kick out this --- at work we have a guy who lived in Sidney for a while today we had a small
disagreement and he said " look you crazy dingo that's not what I said " needless to say this cracked me up and it was all over.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have one of the fender elims from this co. Given the cost, the quality was pretty shoddy. Think it was 90 bucks for a cheap piece of plastic w some chinese led turn signals that are invisible in the daylight. Also must note that the instructions were useless, and not all the hardware was provided. Had to make two shots to the lowes to get the hardware that should have been in the kit.
Hope these lights are different, cause they look badass...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have one of the fender elims from this co. Given the cost, the quality was pretty shoddy. Think it was 90 bucks for a cheap piece of plastic w some chinese led turn signals that are invisible in the daylight. Also must note that the instructions were useless, and not all the hardware was provided. Had to make two shots to the lowes to get the hardware that should have been in the kit.
Hope these lights are different, cause they look badass...
Yeah i like to do a bit of investigation before i buy something out of the ordinary like this, so i looked through all his ebay feedback and most of it was fine, but as you said most of his negative feedback was for **** tail tidy/fender elim's, so i'm not surprised by what you said. Then i contacted 2 different customer's who had bought this headlight conversion for a 2010 Z1000, and they loved it. They said everything was there, and the quality was good, they said the hardest part of the job was getting the headlight assembly apart. So I'm feeling confident it'll be fine.

On a seperate note, the exchange rate would normally be around $0.6AU(australian) to the $1, so a kit like this with freight would normally cost me just under $500AU. But with the exchange rate like it is it's only costing me the same $ as you US guys plus $50 postage. Otherwise as cool as this kit is i wouldn't pay $500AU for it.

Ha ha! that's funny as! and typical. What about "Struth Mate! stone the flamin crows!!" or "Dry as a dead dingo's donga!" lol!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Drewboy. I'm from Sydney, almost tempted to come up for a ride to help you install it. I have been planning on a HID conversion since i got my Z. I didn't know someone made a kit until i read your thread. What i did was went to my Kwaka dealer/seller, and priced a headlight assembly so i had a complete 'unhacked' headlight in case i stuffed it. I quicky changed my mind when the price was $900!!
When are you expecting the arrival of your parcel?
BTW, i'm also doing a see-thru clutch cover conversion. I have the new housing I'm going to mill, then install to my bike. I will then have a spare housing. If it works, and your interested, i could make you one with the exchange of your housing also. Anyways, when its complete I'll take photos and you can decide later.
Rob

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Drewboy. I'm from Sydney, almost tempted to come up for a ride to help you install it. I have been planning on a HID conversion since i got my Z. I didn't know someone made a kit until i read your thread. What i did was went to my Kwaka dealer/seller, and priced a headlight assembly so i had a complete 'unhacked' headlight in case i stuffed it. I quicky changed my mind when the price was $900!!
When are you expecting the arrival of your parcel?
BTW, i'm also doing a see-thru clutch cover conversion. I have the new housing I'm going to mill, then install to my bike. I will then have a spare housing. If it works, and your interested, i could make you one with the exchange of your housing also. Anyways, when its complete I'll take photos and you can decide later.
Rob
Yeah mate i thought of doing the same(make my own headlight) with projectors or small dual beam headlights inside the housing, but i knew i'd have to promise my first-born child to get a spare headlight assembly! Cos i love that symmetrical look aswell. But i often jump on ebay and search anything for 2010 Z1000 just to see what's available and came across this. I think you'll agree with the current exchange rate it's a cheap kit for you and I, for what's included.

I'll take a heap of pics as i'm fitting it, so everyone can see what's involved. It left the US on the 12th so should be here within the next 6-7 days, i can't wait!

The windowed clutch cover sounds awesome!! let me know how you go, take heaps of pics, i could be very interested!!

cheers
Andrew

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Drewboy, whats the go?? Just picked up my kit from the post office, gonna go down stairs now with a few beers and start tearing the front apart. Got my spare bike to run around on in the meantime (TLR1000)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dieselman, i hope you fair better than i did! here's what happened to me.

BE WARNED- This is not a "bolt-on kit" as advertised and is not for the faint-hearted it does require modifications to your headlight and to the projectors to make them fit.

The reason it's taken this long to put the kit in is i had to wait a week and a half for the kit to arrive, opened it to find the guy hadn't sent me any HID Ballests, so i had to wait an extra 2 weeks for them to arrive before i could even start.

These first three pics are taking the headlight apart. This requires unbolting it off the bike, and the surround unbolts from the headlight as you can see. Then you need a heat gun to heat the seal all the way around the headlight so you can split it open. Leather gloves are a good idea so you can hold the headlight while it is hot.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, so then you have to unbolt these upper pieces from the headlight back lens which is easy they just have 2 screws each.

Then apparently you just place the projector in from the front and but the nut on the back to hold it there. This is where the problems started. The projectors i was sent are to fit H4 headlights not H7 like the Z1000, so this wasn't going to work, you couldn't do the nut up against anything at the back, so i had to modify the stock H7 bulb holders so i could use it as an adapter so i could do the nut on the projector up. As soon as i did this i realised the projectors did'nt have enough room to be done up without kicking out on an angle. So i had to cut a slot in the projector so it would fit straight.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So finally i got the projectors to fit properly, and bolted the back-lens to the back of the headlight so i could sit it back on the bike and hook the projectors up to power and make sure they work.

BINGO!! they work fine and look awesome!!
So i thought while i'm here i'll hook up the CCFL Halo's to see if they work. Here's the next problem, on halo works and the other doesn't!! so i check all the connections, and they're all good. The CCFL Halos have a transforner box to correct the power for them and i decided to swap them over to see if i had a faulty transformer. Now the other halo works and the first one that worked is now not working! so i confirmed i had a bad transformer. But even worse than that, the first Halo was white when it came on which is what i ordered, but the second halo was BLUE!!!

So with the projectors now cut to fit, i thought i wouldn't be able to send them back, and even if i got sent a new halo transformer, the halo's aren't the same colour, so i decided to remove them all together so i could put my bike back together.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I put the headlight back together after removing the CCFL Halo's completely, put the bike back together, wired up all the electrics properly, and as you can see the end result is still awesome, and i'm not sure if the Halo's would have made much difference cos as soon as the bike is running low beam is always on. These projectors use the same technology as the latest gen R1, where the high/low beam is changed inside the projector by a spring solenoid, which mechanically changes from low to high beam, which is why you can use HID bulbs, as anyone who has used HID bulbs you can't use them for highbeam as they need to warm up, they don't just switch on and off. But with these projectors they just stay on all the time and the projector changes the high/low beam.

At the end of the day i'm happy with the bike now, but only cos i'm comfortable doing these modifications, where i'm sure not everyone is. And because i didn't actually recieve what was promised by the seller, i'm in the process of asking for a partial refund for the Halo part of the kit as that was never going to work.

Hope this helps explain the FULL story behind the mod and how much is involved. I hope Dieselman has a better story to tell but we'll have to wait.

cheers
Andrew

1 - 20 of 43 Posts