RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a monsoon ride home 2 days ago..and 3-4 times the bike left me dead along side the road..i remembered several members complaining about hard starting after washing etc..and someone had mentioned water in the air box...after sitting a few minutes and pulling the choke full on she would start and run like a scalded cat..10 miles down the road or so and back to the same dead and coasting..this happened atleast 3 times...the 4th i managed to coast and feather the throttle to keep myself going as well as adding a lil choke for a few miles..before the weather let up a lil bit..still rain tho

now 2 days later and not having but run up after a bit of food as my gear is JUST getting to the point of being dry...i figured id open up the air box and have a look for signs of water...sure enuf...atleast 2 cups of water..WTF the bottom half of the filter is SOAKED so im sure the bike literally drown in that nasty weather....and it had me wondering..why isnt there a drain?!?!?!...well...it seems there is a drain..a pin hole of a drain..well im sorry but if your cruising hwy speeds that drain is going to be pulling more air in than letting water out until the bike dies..to add insult to injury..it seems there is a rubber pad glued to the bottom of the air box that can very well be covering your vent hole..but worst of worst..its at the BACK of the air box soo..due to the angle of the bike by the time that drain start to drain youve already got water in the filter

i solved the issue with 2 new holes..1 tiny one up front under the filter so that any "leftover" water can drain out..and put a "primary" large hole in a very key location..kick stand side neer the back corner..reason being is that with the shock under there and the way the frame braces are you can only put one in the rearward corners...putting it on the kickstand side assures that when you park you WILL drain out ...i used a barbed threaded fitting picked up at lowes..drilled a hole and threaded it in....after threading it in i pulled it back out and cut it down so that its almost flush to the inside of the air box...and then added a chunk of fuel line so that im not likely to be pulling air thru it but instead actually draining

im pretty well certain this should result in being next to impossible to drown the bike unless your riding underwater

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Thank you for the tip! Will get to this on Jet's before the trip. Need a new air filter anyway.

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,140 Posts
Is your airbox lid drilled, cut, or missing? I got caught in several deluges with the ZR and never had any water issues.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is your airbox lid drilled, cut, or missing? I got caught in several deluges with the ZR and never had any water issues.
my lid is 100% bone stock as delived ..no holes and sealed up....id love to know how enuf water got in to drown the bike in the first place...i mean i was in the type of rain the average rider woulda found a place to get off the road and wait a while....i was allready soaked and just hung out in it still doing the posted 70mph

i half wonder if the fender eliminator or my fairing or both may have added to the problem..but the rain was coming down in buckets and the visability was about 100ft max

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,140 Posts
Maybe the fender eliminator is allowing the rear tire to throw water into the snorkel? Maybe the fairing is causing some weird air flow?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
deffinatly water getting into the eliminator too....all the more reason to see about flat bottoming it

·
Registered
2003 zr-7s
26 Posts
How strange,.... if this happens to me then I'll take up shortlife's modification. Thanks for the photos, they really help. michel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts