RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found that the headlight on the ZR-7S just doesn't reach out far enough for me even after swapping out the 60/55 Watt bulb for a 100/55 Watt one. So I added a set of 35 Watt driving lights. These are shown in the attached photo. They do a good job of adding the additional light I wanted. They cost about $35 at Wal-Mart and I made the brackets myself. I attached them to the frame that the fairing is attached to using the frontmost bolt. Has anyone else added driving lights to their ZR?

·
Registered
660 Posts
The mind boogles with what Andy will do with this.:)

When do you use these? I've thought of adding fog lights for bad rainy nights but I've been hard pressed to find a time when need my high beam.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I looked at those before and wondered how well they would work. On a scale from 1 to 10, how would you rate your satisfaction of the lights?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
sweet! very clean job on the brackets and the installation. my compliments :)

please let us know what you think of their performance.

what did you wire them to? are they on a separate switch?

scott :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jet, I was used to driving a 4X4 Pickup that sits up pretty high so the high beams really reach out there. On my ZR I didn't think I had enough lead time when I was driving above 60 MPH. An added bonus is that the folks in cages should see me coming.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Martin, I didn't like the yellow light that the original 35 watt lights put out so I replaced them with 55 Watt replacements. With the 35 watt bulbs I would rate them a 5. With the 55 watt replacement bulbs I would give them an 8.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scott, Thanks for the compliment. It took quite a while to figure out the best way to mount them and bend the brackets. The lights come with a separate switch that uses a relay to turn on the lights. The attached pic shows the little hole that I tucked the switch into. I didn't want to clutter up the handlebars. The switch lights up red when it is off and green when the lights are on. The relay and fuses are under the seat.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Triple G that is a very]/u] nice job ! All you need to complete it is a set of hooters (same type of relay switch arrangement).

I'd certainly look at driving lights, but we only have the zr-7 model here (not the s) so there is a paucity of mounting alternatives available (so to speak).

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
hey scottmac, i've got the full naked model too but now i'm inspired. i might try to get creative and see where i can put some driving lights. maybe get some fram sliders mounted low and see if i can kill two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Sorry scott a, but what is a 'fram slider' (sic) ?:eek:

[BTW how do you pronounce your surname?]

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
scottmac wrote:
Triple G that is a very]/u] nice job ! All you need to complete it is a set of hooters (same type of relay switch arrangement).

Now you've gone and done it ................a set of hooters on a naked street bike............ Andy should have a ball with this one:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
'fram', pronounced like 'frame' but easier to type ;)

'araujo' pronounced 'ah-rah-zhoe', if that makes sense. the correct pronunciation (in portuguese) throws a u sound in there too, 'ah-rah-oo-zhoe'.

·
Registered
499 Posts
lights

3G,
Nice job! Did you make the brackets, or did they come with the lights? How thick are those mounting brackets? The pics make them look like they're made from 1/4" stock. Anyway, good looking job!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Thanks Andy - and I know what you man, about it bing asir to typ without using on or mor vowls.

[Actually, I still didn't know what a frame slider was, until I saw the picture of Aris' bike.]

·
Registered
989 Posts
Looks like they're the type you have to squeeze on the end to get them to do anything ...

OK, that's enough ... I promise never, ever to post anything related to hooters again.

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
I see you put the swithces on the front of your double D hooters..........:laugh:
Actually the driving lights look good. Everytime I go to a auto store I find myself looking at driving
lights .............just havn't found the pair I like. Your mounting brackets was a good idea....... :cool:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts