RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
I can sort-of see his point if riding really slow, like around a neighborhood. But, at full speed, that noise you hear is not very good info for keeping you safe. You can get a drivers license if you cant hear. I think you can get a cdl, too. But, I dont think you can get either if you are blind. The hearing argument is usually brought up by those who dont want to wear a helmet, anyway.

Our hearing is not very good. Nothign compared to a dog. We hear "noise", but not really direction, or distance. You have to see it to complete the picture.

I wear a full face shoei, and you still need earplugs.

I like people who think like this, though. Nothing ever gets more safe with peopel, like me, who just go, "oh, thats whats assailable." Guys like you invent lexan faceshields, and goggles, while I wore glasses.

·
Registered
228 Posts
This is an old thread. I just wanted to mention that according to reviews, the Sena 20S has a button that you can push to make it transfer the ambient noise into your helmet via its speakers. It sounds to be quite useful for stops at red lights.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
There's a 2.5 inch hole where my chin is and I thought that was where my wind noise was coming from, so one day I plugged it...nope. It's coming in around the back of my neck. When I tilt my helmet tight against the back my neck it is so much quieter, and yes my helmet is pretty snug. I can't stand ear plugs, but on longer rides I do use headphones and light music. I have thought of getting a Sena set just for music and phone calls, I just can't bring myself to spend that much on it.

·
Administrator
2,766 Posts
Phone calls.....the last f*cking thing I want to do when I'm riding is to answer a phone call - might as well stay home.

'Hello?"....."Hi Honey, what are you doing?"
"Nothing much, just lane-splitting at 75mph, nothing that needs concentration, so we can chat." ..."Oh, that's nice Honey, how was your day?"
"It was ok, what's for dinner?"

Jeezus!

From a safety point of view, for me, riding while talking on the phone is the same as driving while texting. Some things can be done via multi-tasking, riding is not one of them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Phone calls.....the last f*cking thing I want to do when I'm riding is to answer a phone call - might as well stay home.

'Hello?"....."Hi Honey, what are you doing?"
"Nothing much, just lane-splitting at 75mph, nothing that needs concentration, so we can chat." ..."Oh, that's nice Honey, how was your day?"
"It was ok, what's for dinner?"

Jeezus!

From a safety point of view, for me, riding while talking on the phone is the same as driving while texting. Some things can be done via multi-tasking, riding is not one of them.
I went to Manila last year. Fk that traffic. Burn it to the ground. Crazy Jeepnies don't make it any easier.

Anyway, I love my Sena SMH-10. Makes listening to music, getting GPS directions, and taking/making calls much easier. It gives my wife ease-of-mind whenever I'm on a bike trip and she can call instead of having to wait for me to get back to her.

And about drilling a hole into your helmet: It's designed in a very specific manner to keep its structure as best as possible in a crash. You introducing weak points into the structure is just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
And about drilling a hole into your helmet: It's designed in a very specific manner to keep its structure as best as possible in a crash. You introducing weak points into the structure is just asking for trouble.
/\ + 1

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
I can't believe this thread has been going since 2010!

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I've got a Shoei full face helmet which feels like it keeps my face and head very safe indeed - BUT, I feel disconnected from the outside world..

I also have a snowboard helmet that I've worn when just riding the bike around the block to practice slow speed stuff, and I love the sound and the feel of the air..

Can you drill holes in the sides of a full face helmet where your ears are? I'm thinking some 1/8" holes, maybe 5-10 of them, in a circular type shape - will this compromise the structural integrity of the helmet in a major way?

Why don't they make the helmets like that to begin with, with some sort of vent by the ears?
I've read a lot of "OPINIONS", on your subject. Unfortunately, I didn't see any that had any facts to back up their blind advice.
First off, I raced motorcycles for many years. Coming off a bike, flying through the air is part of racing. To think a helmet looses it's structural integrity, upon it's first impact is just plain stupid. Racing helmets have scrapes all over them.

As for wing whistling noise, that would be solved by angling small drill holes toward the back.

Your question, why don't they already make helmets, like this, is a very valid point.

Drilling a few ear holes, no more than a 1/8" angled backwards and at least 1" apart should be fine. You WILL lose a fraction of strength. But, only at the ear area. If you hit the pavement hard enough to shatter your helmet, you're going to have much bigger issues to worry about

41 - 50 of 50 Posts