RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted to do this since I first got my streak; I hate the rear caliper sitting up on top of the rotor. I first thought I would just get a L&M bracket but couldn’t justify $190 + shipping + powder coating for a bracket that I don’t want you to see in the end. I looked at the ThunderMFG bracket, but cost again and I didn’t like the position it put the caliper in, led me to make my own.

I started with rear caliper brackets from ebay; 05 Drifter ($42.05) and a 04 Meanstreak ($18.23). I didn’t want my bike to be down while I was building the bracket. My stock bracket (powder coated black) will be on ebay soon.

I’ll let the pictures do the rest.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And More

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a little more finish work and then powder coating, but it works great and I can't be any happier with how it turned out.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Nice! What did you do with the extra length of brake line?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The stock brake line fit great, I never even disconnected it from the caliper. There was enough slack to route it between the new bracket and swing arm. Then when I was done I just shoved the line back to where it was, from back to front, until there was no extra. I believe L&M says they can run theirs with the stock line as well. The only issue I see is bleeding, the nipples are upside down now. Sorry I couldn't get a picture of the actual caliper it's tucked down behind the pipes now.

Rode for about 2 hours yesterday with no problems. Even did some overkill rear breaking just to make sure everything was solid. I'm pulling it all apart again tomorrow for powder coating.

·
Registered
346 Posts
How much would u take for ur stock bracket? Might save u the trouble of puttin it on eBay. There's tons Of nomad brackets going for like $25 shipped. U might consider making a few relocator brackets and selling them.

·
Registered
376 Posts
If you are interested in making any more of those let us know. I would be in for one.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Was there any calculations as to the angle the bracket has to be, or just eyeball it?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
"Was there any calculations as to the angle the bracket has to be, or just eyeball it? "

No calculations, I used a spare meanstreak bracket I used as a jig.

All done.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Can you take a pic looking down at it from the top?
Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sure, I'll get it up tomorrow after work.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, these are the best I could get. The flash was killing me, I tried 6 different settings. Last pic is the back after powder, weld turned out really nice.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, I have no means to produce them. It took me a little over a year just to find a drifter bracket cheap enough to make it worth while. Then the work involved with the cutting and welding. It was just a garage project, I'm no machinist, just had the time and patience. I did it all with only a cut off wheel on a angle grinder and a hand file.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's listed on ebay right now. Vulcan VN1600 Meanstreak Caliper Bracket

1 - 17 of 17 Posts